Chapter 41

It was nice to think about something other than the crisis at hand, but a few minutes later, talk reverted back to Shawn, and everyone was on edge again.  I had no idea how I was going to help.  I needed to find a way to project myself into Shawn's body again and find out where he was.  I knew he felt me when I was there, and if I could communicate with him, maybe he could tell me. 

I was sitting on the edge of Victoria's bed, deep in thought, when Dani came and perched next to me.  "Penny for your thoughts?"  she whispered.

I looked up into her beautiful emerald green eyes and sighed.  A plan was taking shape, but I knew I needed her help to pull it off.  "Dani, I've got a crazy idea, but you're not going to like it."

She narrowed her eyes at me.  "What do you have cooking in that impulsive head of yours?"

I stood up and grabbed her arm. "We need to distract Dustin, and we need Victoria."

She gave me a nervous look.  "Katie, if your planning on doing something without telling Dustin, you might want to reconsider.  In case you hadn't noticed, he's a little tightly strung right now. If anything were to happen to you..." 

"Do you want Shawn back or not?"  I lowered my voice.  "Get all these people out of here, except Victoria.  Send Dustin and Jeremy out for food or something.  I don't care what you have to do but get them out of here."

The plan was taking shape in my mind, but I had a lot of preparations to make if I wanted to pull it off.   I watched Dani weave her way to Victoria and whisper something in her ear.  Victoria looked over at me, confused, but headed my way.

"Everyone, I hate to be rude, but Katie isn't feeling good.  The visions took a lot of her energy, and since we may need her to do it again, I think it's best if she rests for a while," Dani announced.

Victoria sat on the bed next to me, and I linked my eyes with hers.  "Can you hear me?  Just nod if you can."  I projected my voice into her mind.

She nodded, almost imperceptibly, and I could tell she was struggling not to show her surprise at my unannounced presence in her head.

"I have a plan," I continued.  "But I need your help."

I looked around and realized that people were starting to file out of the room.  Dustin moved towards me, a look of concern on his handsome face.  "I thought you were feeling better."  Victoria shifted over, so he could sit next to me.

"I just need to get my energy back up.  Maybe you could get me something to eat."  I kept my eyes verted from his.

"Katie, I don't know.  I don't really want to leave you alone right now.  I'm sure Kellan's people are still around, and they want to get to Dani and me.  They already have Shawn, and I'm sure you are their next target."

"But I'll be here with Dani and Victoria, so nothing will happen.  You could leave one of the guys at the end of the hall if you want, just in case.  I'm hungry."  I threw a little whininess in my voice.

He met my eyes with his, so I tried to block him by thinking of mindless chatter.  "Okay, I'll run down to the student union and grab you something, but I'm leaving Jeremy outside just in case."

It was as good as I was going to get.  At least I could talk to Dani and Victoria telepathically.  The real challenge would come later.  "Okay, but make sure you get something for Dani and Victoria too."

He leaned down and kissed me.  "Stay here and keep away from the windows.  If anything goes wrong, Jeremy can hear you even if you whisper.  I'll be right back."