Chapter 5

It made so much sense now. Dani being so reserved. Dustin protecting his sister. Dustin hating me. I had no idea how to prove to them that I wasn't another Alicia. I picked up my cup and hurried to my next class.

Art Concepts 350 was also in Thompson Hall. My conversation with Shawn had almost made me late for class. The teacher was just arriving when I slipped into my seat, breathing a short sigh of relief. I had no idea how I was going to focus on class with thoughts of Dani's kidnapping running through my head. Right before the teacher began talking, the door opened, and Dustin strode in.

"Mr. LeFores, so nice of you to join us." The teacher looked mildly irritated. "Please find a seat so we can begin."

Unfortunately, the only open seat was right next to me. Dustin sighed before heading my way. Even though I knew the reason behind his reluctance, it still hurt to know that he thought I might be someone awful like Alicia.

Dustin settled into his seat and the teacher launched into the lecture. I tried to pay attention, but my mind was so far away. I was finally in college, studying my passion and all I could think about was the angry young man next to me.

"Now I want you to break into groups of two and discuss the difference between pre-and post- modernist art." The teacher began counting off by twos, and surprise, surprise guess who my partner was?

Dustin turned to me, his irritation obvious. "Do you want to write, or do you want me to?"

"Whatever you want." At that point, I didn't care about the assignment. I knew I was in for a healthy dose of "I hate you", courtesy of the pissy twin.

"Your handwriting is probably better than mine..." he chewed on the cap of his pen.

"Fine," I pulled out paper and a pencil. "What's the first discussion question?" I looked up to find Dustin staring at me. His eyes were breathtaking. They were the deepest shade of emerald and they complimented his ruggedly handsome face perfectly.

No! I pulled my eyes away and tried to focus on the assignment. I wasn't going to let my attraction to Dustin over ride my hatred for him, even though he was drop dead gorgeous, and smelled like a sexy combination of cologne and fabric softener.

"What are you thinking?" he asked, barely above a whisper. His eyes still probed mine intently.

"That if you weren't such a jerk, you would be quite handsome." It spilled out before I could stop myself. I was instantly mortified. Speak before you think Katie, strikes again.

He sat back and smirked. "Good to know."

"No, wait," I began. "I only meant-," I knew my cheeks were flaming red with embarrassment.

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we will pick up here tomorrow. Class dismissed." I jumped at the sound of the teacher's voice.

I grabbed my book bag and stuffed my papers inside. "Bye." I hurried out of the class as fast as my legs would carry me.

But I wasn't fast enough. Dustin caught up with me and fell in step beside me. "So, you think I'm handsome?" I caught a hint of teasing in his voice.

"No." I corrected him. "If you weren't an ass, you would be handsome. But you are an ass, so it doesn't matter what you look like. I have a class to get to." I hurried away before he had the chance to say something rude.

In fact, I had two hours before my next class, but I wasn't going to spend another minute with Dustin. He ran so hot and cold, he made me dizzy.

I hurried away and headed towards the library.