Chapter 7

I covered my lips in glittery gloss. "Sounds good. What's the party for, again?"

"Alyssa's birthday." Dani grabbed the tube of gloss from my hand. "Jeremy never passes up an opportunity to spoil her."

I sighed. Alyssa was a lucky girl.

Jeremy and Alyssa lived off campus, but their apartment was within walking distance. "I'm going casual." I rifled through my clothes. "Jeans and a crop top." I held up a blue baby doll tee.

"If I had your abs, I'd only wear crop tops," Dani threw me a grin. "Isn't it about time we find you a boyfriend?"

I rolled my eyes.

Shawn and Dustin showed up a little after seven to walk us to Jeremy's. They were in a deep conversation about who was the better wrestler, The Rock or John Cena.

"Cena, obviously." Shawn reached down and took Dani's hand. "He's bigger."

"That's your argument?" Dustin stuffed his hands in his jacket pockets. "The Rock's been wrestling for longer. He's more experienced. The size of his biceps is irrelevant."

"Cena is the face of the company. He's a monster!" Shawn winked at Dani.

"The Rock's mic skills far outweigh John Cena," I threw in, even though I hadn't been asked. "Plus, his character has been reinvented multiple times and he's gone from face to heel more than Cena."

Everyone stopped talking and stared at me.

"What?" I shrugged. "I like wrestling."

"See?" Dustin smirked at Shawn. "The Rock's better." He gave me an approving look.

Jeremy's house was already crowded, people spilling out onto the lawn. The booming bass from the stereo conjured up images of the first party I had been to at SLU. I reminded myself to forgo the alcohol this time.

"Let's go find Alyssa!" Dani pulled me into the house, not bothering to drag Shawn with us.

Things had changed a lot since the first party we had gone to together. Last time, Dani had been wary of being away from Shawn. She hadn't felt comfortable without him nearby. But now, with her new-found courage, she was breaking out of her shell.

"Let's dance!" Another repeat of our last party.

Three songs later we were both hot and sweaty. Apparently the DJ was feeling it too, because the next song was a slow one.

Shawn made his way over to Dani and snaked his arm around her waist. "Dance with me?" It looked like he'd had a few drinks.

Dani grinned and drew him close. They were so cute.

I made my way off the dance floor and outside to the front porch. The cool air lifted my sweaty hair from my forehead.

"Having fun?" A familiar voice dripped in my ears.

I turned around and came face to face with those emerald green eyes. "Sure."

Dustin raised his eyebrows. "Where's Dani?"

"She and Shawn are slow dancing." I ran my hand along the porch railing. "How long have they been together?"

Dustin unfolded his arms and followed me. "A long time."