Chapter 15

The next few weeks dragged by. I wasn't allowed to leave the cabin, in case someone saw me and ruined the story Dani and Shawn had told everyone at SLU. I kept myself busy with homework and gym time. I made sure to call my parents once a week, so they didn't worry. The last thing I needed was them making an unannounced trip to SLU, only to find me gone.

Dustin and I played board games, and even tried our hand at crocheting, which neither one of us were very good at. By the time my three weeks were almost up, my "vampire characteristics" hadn't disappeared. I was still abnormally strong, and my appetite resembled that of a football linebacker.

In addition, the Link between Dustin and I seemed to strengthen every day. We could now communicate with each other telepathically and it was almost as if the more time we spent together, the more connected we became. He rarely left my side and sent his assignments with Dani when she took mine. I felt strong when he was next to me. At night, I slept in his arms, protected by the warmth of his love. I had never felt this way about anyone, and even though the circumstances were less than ideal, I realized every day that I was falling more and more in love with him.

Each morning I spent a little time lifting weights and running on the state of the art treadmill. It was amazing to have the supernatural strength that came from the Link. I had never felt so powerful. Dustin and I sparred in a makeshift ring made of ropes tied to the walls in the garage, to keep my skills sharp.

As our final days approached, I began to get nervous. "What will happen when we get back to school? How am I supposed to act? I know so much more now, and I can't just pretend that I don't."

Dustin was packing his bags. "You have to act like you did before. We can't risk anyone finding out what really happened to you."

I sighed. "You know I am going to have to do something about Anya. It's not going to go away, and I owe her a rematch."

"Let me worry about her."

I turned back to my packing. "I think I will probably-" A sharp pain shot through my head and I dropped to my knees.

I saw Dustin waver. "Katie, what's going on?" A moment later he put his hand to his head. "Christ!" He held the bed for support, as he leaned down and put his hand in mine. The pain began to subside.

"Are we fracturing again?" I was terrified. We were alone, and without Brian, the chances of us surviving another fracture were slim.

"I don't think so." He settled on the floor next to me and pulled me into his arms. "It's probably just an after effect. How do you feel now?"

I looked up at him. There was a hazy green glow surrounding his form. "I'm okay." I blinked a couple of times and shook my head. I dared another glance at him, and the glow was gone.

I stood up and let him pull me close. "We're going to be okay," he whispered.

Later that night we sat around the dining room table for our last dinner at the cabin. Dani and Shawn brought pizza from the town nearby.

"Are you excited to go back?" Shawn bit into a monster sized piece.

I shrugged. "I'm glad to be getting out of this house."

Dustin looked hurt.

"No, I mean," I began. "Don't look at me like I just kicked your granny into traffic. I've loved being here with you, but I'm going a little stir crazy. It's been three weeks."

Dani nodded, understanding. "I wouldn't be able to handle it. I would have already lost my mind!"

"Katie's tough," Dustin replied. "I think we've all seen that first hand."

The others nodded, making me feel like they had faith in my ability to handle myself.

"We've decided it will be easier for you and Dustin to share our dorm room, considering the Link and all," Dani began. "I'll stay with Shawn."

I looked at Dustin. "Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Do you?" he questioned back, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"I guess it makes sense," I began. My heart did a little happy dance. "Are we allowed to do that?"

"It's a coed dorm," Shawn said, between bites. "No one will care."

Dustin reached for my hand. "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I'll sleep in Dani's bed."

Dani snorted. "Yah, maybe at first." She winked at me.

I felt a blush stain my cheeks, but I knew she was probably right. I had spent the last three weeks sleeping in the arms of my protective boyfriend. I had almost forgotten what it was like to sleep alone.

Author's Note: Do you think Katie is ready to return to school? Show me some love and vote and comment below!! Luvs as always!! AM💜