Chapter 18

"Where are you headed?" Dustin closed the door behind him. His hair was still wet from his recent shower, drops falling down his sexy bare chest.

"I have to go to the registers office and drop that awful English class." I put my phone on silent and stuffed it in my back pocket.

"Want me to go with you?" He pulled a shirt over his head, effectively ending my ogling of his beautiful form.

"It's okay. I know you need to work on that paper. I won't be long." I reached up and planted a kiss on his cheek.

He gave me a curious look as I walked out the door.

My pulse was steadily rising as the nervousness built in my stomach. So many questions and so few answers. I was running blind. I had no idea what was happening to me, but I wasn't myself anymore. Super human traits. Visual disturbances. I almost expected the men in white coats to show up with a nice straight jacket for me. Maybe a permanent Thorazine drip. Either way, I was in trouble.

The sky was overcast as I made my way across the campus. My hair flapped around me as the wind began to pick up. By the time I reached the registers building, I looked like I had blond cotton candy on my head. I ducked into the bathroom to try and smooth it down with some water. I walked around the corner and came face to face with Victoria, the girl from the coffee shop. To my dismay, she was radiating rainbow prisms.

"Hi! Katie, right?" She smiled at me as she bent to wash her hands in the sink. The glow slowly began to fade.

"Um yah, hi." I went to the mirror and surveyed my hair. Good lord! I was sporting a fifties style beehive.

"Looks like the wind is picking up out there. I didn't hear anything about a storm coming," she mused, as she reached into her bag. "I have a brush in here if you want to use it."

"That would be awesome," I replied.

She handed it to me, and I began attempting to untangle the mess.

All the sudden, I was standing in the middle of a field. There were lions and tigers milling around, though it didn't appear that they saw me. They cuddled on one another and wrestled playfully. My heart was racing. Where was I? One of the lions stopped moving and swung his head, his ears perked towards me. He began to walk my way, slowly at first, then faster. I screamed and closed my eyes, dropping the brush. When I opened them, I was standing in front of the mirror.

"Oh, my God, are you okay?" Victoria stared at me with a frightened look.

I reached for the sink to steady myself as my breath came out in gasps. "Yah. I'm sorry. Things have been a little tense for me lately." Understatement of the year.

"I know. We all heard about your "accident"." She made air quotes. "And just FYI, if you ever need any help kicking Anya's ass, you come find me. As far as I'm concerned, its high time someone did something to put her in her place."

I smiled weakly. "Thank you."

She picked up the brush and stuffed it back into her bag. "I'm usually at the coffee shop, if you need anything." She waved and disappeared out the door.

My breathing started to slow. I stared at myself in the mirror. What was happening to me? Dustin hadn't mentioned any of these things when he told me about the Link.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. It was Brian. "Katie?" he asked, when I answered.

"Yah?"

"Can you talk?"

"Yes." I moved to the corner and slid down the wall, pulling my knees to my chest. "What did you find out?"

"It's still kind of confusing, but I asked around and it seems like what you are experiencing are called Auras. It's sort of like a way to tell whether someone is Supernatural or not. Are you seeing them around Dustin or Dani?"