Chapter 44

"Thank you for inviting us to Christmas."  Dustin and I were packing our duffel bags.  "I know Dani is really excited.  Holidays are rough for us, with mom and dad still gone."

I pulled him into my arms.  "You're family now.  Both of you." I pressed my lips softly to his.  "My parents are happy to have you."

He leaned in closer and kissed me softly on my neck.  "I promise to be a gentleman and not give your dad or brothers any reason not to like me."

I laughed and moved to zip my duffel.  "Just be the charming vampire I know you can be."

He grabbed both bags and swung them over his shoulder.  "Let's grab Dani and get on the road."

We rode the elevator to the fourth floor and knocked on Shawn's door.  Dani swung it open, her cheeks blushing furiously.

"Um, did we interrupt something?"  I moved nervously from one foot to the other.

Shawn appeared behind Dani.  "Not really, just saying goodbye."  He adjusted the buttons on his shirt, which had obviously been buttoned in too much of a hurry in the first place. 

"Oh, ugh.  It's time to go."  Dustin muttered, casting glances everywhere except his disheveled sister.  "We'll meet you downstairs."

The door shut, and I burst into laughter.  "That was hilarious!"

Dustin gave me a side look.  "Yah, laugh it up."  But he was grinning.

The sky was clear, and the sun was shining while we packed the back of the rental Jeep.  Dustin and Dani had agreed to leave their tiny sportscars at school, so we could all ride up to my parents together.  I was excited to introduce them to my family, although we had decided to wait to tell them about the engagement until they got to know Dustin better.  I hoped my family wouldn't embarrass me too much.

"Dani, hurry up!"  Dustin was getting antsy.

"Do you want me to run up there and get her?"

"It's okay.  I'm gonna run to the student union and grab some drinks for the road.  Sprite?"  He pulled some cash out of his pocket.

"Yup.  I'll stay here and help Dani load her stuff when she comes down."  I leaned against the Jeep, enjoying the sun on my skin. 

"Excuse me?" A soft voice startled me out of my sun worship.

"Yes?"

"Do you know where I can find Abmlyn Hall?" 

I pulled away from the Jeep.  "Yah, actually that's my dorm.  It's just down to the right.  You will have to sign in at the office if you want to be allowed inside.  Unless you have a key card."

She nodded and smiled.  Her face was like alabaster, and her dark green eyes were a beautiful contrast to her black mane of curls.  "Thank you."

She headed down towards the dorms, just as Dani popped up next to me.  "Okay, let's do this!"

I turned back to the fading form of the woman.  There was something familiar about her, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Finally!"  I heard Dustin walk up.  "I was getting ready to leave without you!"  He grabbed Dani's duffel and threw it in the back with ours.

We piled in and got situated.  "Okay!  Stransberg or bust!"  Dani rolled down her window and popped open a soda.

I leaned over and kissed Dustin's cheek. 

"What was that for?"  He looked at me curiously.

"No reason.  Just love you."

He took my hand in his.  "I love you too."

#                                                                        #                                                                      #

I woke up with a start, smacking my head on the passenger window. My heart was thundering in my chest, and I gasped to catch my breath.

"Hey, you okay?"  Dustin leaned into my line of sight.

I nodded as I tried to slow my thundering pulse. Images were flashing through my mind, images of the various visions I had seen.  They spun like a Ferris Wheel, pausing only for brief recognition of different scenes. 

I closed my eyes and shook my head, trying to drop the curtain and end the montage.  All the sudden, the slide show stopped, and I was looking at a beautiful woman.  She had deep green eyes and ebony colored hair. And had seen her before. 

"It will be okay, Dustin." The soft voice filled my mind.  "Father and I are right here."

I felt ice climbing up my spine.  Another image flashed in my mind.  The woman from the parking lot, the woman looking for Amblyn Hall. She was the same woman in the vision.

And I knew who she was. 

She was Dustin's mother.

Final Author's Note- Yup, that's the end of Book One

Final Author's Note- Yup, that's the end of Book One. I know some people hate cliffhangers, but how would I keep you interested without a little incentive? Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading this story. It means the world to me to be able to share my little labor of love with you all! I have enjoyed all your comments and appreciate every vote. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I love you all!! Now, on to Book Two...

 Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I love you all!! Now, on to Book Two