Chapter 40

It was dark by the time we reached campus.  Dustin and I hurried to our room to drop off our stuff. 

"What the hell?"  I stared at what used to be my dorm room.  Our clothes were strewn about, and all my stuff was smashed.  Posters had been ripped off the wall, and all my art supplies had been dumped out, creating a messy Picasso look on my floor.  In the corner lay my new Mac laptop that Dustin had given me.  It was smashed, beyond repair.

I felt my anger bubbling to the surface.  "I'm going to hurt someone."  I growled, under my breath.

"What happened in here?"  Dustin's voice was tight.

I picked up a shattered photo frame that held a picture of me with my brothers.  I took a few deep breaths to steady myself and closed my eyes.  I removed the wall blocking my mind and searched for answers from the vibrations in the picture.  I was instantly overcome with a sense of anger, and I opened myself up completely.  I saw my room in my mind, only half destroyed.  An angry figure was storming around, slamming things into the walls, pulling things out of drawers.  He stopped for a moment and turned to the door, waiting and listening.  His face was a picture of pure rage, and I was sure I had never seen him before.  He turned towards me and hurled the picture frame against the wall.  I jumped and screamed, effectively pulling myself out of the vision.

I was on the floor of my trashed room, my heart thundering.  "Katie?"  Dustin was next to me, his face a mask of concern.

I looked into his eyes and projected the images I had seen.  "Do you know him?"

Dustin shook his head.  "No, but I'm sure he's one of Kellan's men."

I felt weak, but my mind was forcing me to get back to my feet.  "We need to get to Shawn's room!"

"Hold on."  He put his hands on my shoulders.  "You're weak, and another vision may incapacitate you."

"Dustin, we don't have time!"  I exclaimed.

He reached out and brought his hand to my cheek.  "Just a few moments.  You can't help if you're too weak."  He brought my hand to his cheek, and the combined energy rushed through my body.  It took mere seconds for me to feel strong again.

"Okay?"  He searched my eyes.

I nodded, getting to my feet.  "I'm ready."

He led me slowly towards the elevator.  "Are you sure you feel up to this?"

I pushed the fourth-floor button.  "I have to."  I replied.  "Savannah asked me to.  She said it's the best way for me to help.  Dustin, I have to help."  I felt desperate.

"Calm down."  He put his hand on my arm.  "Stay with me, okay?"

The doors opened, and we headed towards the dorm Dustin used to share with Shawn.  I gasped when we walked in the room.  It was trashed worse than mine.  Everything had been destroyed, and there was blood splattered on the carpet and walls.  I swallowed thickly, as the vision came, uninvited.

I was standing in the middle of the room, looking around wildly.  Someone was there, and I knew I was in trouble.  They were surrounding me, one of them holding a two by four, closing in quickly.  I forced myself to look at him, registering recognition as he swung the board at me.  I ducked, trying to out maneuver him.  Unfortunately, the others were ready, and they piled on me, fists flying.  I tried to fight them off, but they were too strong.  I pushed myself to see their faces as I swung at them, kicking and punching.  The one with the board took a big swing and hit me on the side of the head.  Everything went black.