Chapter 38

Savannah and Dustin were in the parlor, engrossed in a serious discussion. "I think we are good for today." Kaitlyn interrupted them. "Katie did great."

Dustin held out his hand to me, and I took it, sitting down next to him. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Mostly Post-Modernist art." Savannah grinned. "There are so many artistic movements that helped to shape the history of the world. Just look at all the architecture from the era. We are seeing a lot of it coming back to influence the current state of new buildings."

"Well, all of this has been super enlightening, but I'm feeling a headache coming on." I gave Savannah a cross eyed grin.

She put her hand on my arm. "I think that's enough for today. Why don't you go out and enjoy some of the beautiful weather? I'm going to have to do some research and see what else we need to cover. You have excelled at most of the skills I have to teach you."

"Feel like a hike?" Dustin stood up and wrapped an arm around my waist.

Savannah and Kaitlyn headed out the door, discussing my next training session, leaving Dustin and I alone together. "We need to talk." I pulled him to the couch.

"What's wrong?" He looked concerned.

"It's time for us to leave. It's been too long, and I'm sure I have screwed up this semester. We need to get back to campus and get on with our lives. I haven't talked to my parents in weeks, and I miss Dani. Savannah has taught me everything she can, and now I need to go back to the real world."

He looked thoughtful. "I see. Are you unhappy here?"

"It's not that." I replied. "I love it here. It's like some magic training fairy tale. But it's not real life, at least not for us. For Savannah and Kaitlyn, this is every day. They travel, they eat, they shop. We have to go back to SLU and get on with our lives. We were only supposed to stay for a few days, and now it's been almost three weeks. I'm afraid that if we don't go soon, we might never go."

He linked his eyes with mine. "Do you feel ready? Can you sit in a class with a bunch of Supernaturals and not have frightening visions? Can you handle emotional turmoil without shattering the windows of the room you are in? Those are the reasons we came here, and if those problems have been solved, then it's time for us to go back to our lives." His voice felt comfortable in my head.

I snuggled into him. "It's time."

"Then that's it." He kissed me softly. "It's time to go home."

I nodded. "But you have to tell Savannah."

He gave me a nervous look. "Thanks. I get to break the bad news?"

"I'm sure she's going to understand, I just don't want her to think I'm ungrateful. If we could stay here forever in the mansion of Eden, I would. But we have lives, and we need to get back to them. Let's stay through the weekend and leave on Sunday. That gives us another three days to get ourselves ready for the trip back to reality."

"Okay," he said, simply, out loud. "You're in charge. Now how about that hike?"

I smiled and pulled him up off the couch. "Let's go."

Three hours later, Dustin and I returned from our walk to find Savannah waiting on the porch. She looked up, nervously, as we approached her. "We need to talk." She turned and headed into the house.

I glanced at Dustin questioningly, but he just shrugged.

We followed her into the library. "There's been an attack at SLU." Savannah faced us solemnly.