Chapter 22

We were on the road within an hour.  Dustin handled the Eclipse with precision as we sped down the interstate.  I shuffled through his music, settling on some new songs by Hollywood Undead.

                Dustin snickered when he heard my choice.  "Undead, really?"  He cast me a sideways glance.

                "Some of us still have a pulse," I reminded him.  "Of course, I-" I was interrupted by his phone.  I grabbed it and looked at the screen.  "It's Brian."

                "Put it on speaker."  He turned down the stereo.

                I hit the accept button.  "Hey Brian, it's Katie.  We have you on speaker."

                "Where are you guys?  I'm standing in front of your door."  He sounded irritated.

                "Actually," Dustin began, "we are heading to New Orleans for the weekend.  I figured we would take your advice and lay low for a few days."

                "I meant lay low here," Brian chastised.  "But I guess this works out, considering I came here to tell you that I spoke to Savannah today, and she wants to meet with Katie.  She's at the New Orleans estate."

                I felt my pulse spike.  "She wants to meet with me?" It was like being called to the principal's office.

                "Calm down."  Dustin took my hand in his.  "Savannah is amazing.  She's the only one who can really help you understand what's going on.  She has seen everything there is to see, and if she doesn't quite understand it, she will find someone who does."

                I looked at the phone.  "Will you meet us in New Orleans?"  I asked Brian.

                "Would you feel better if I did?"

                "Yes, please," I replied.

                "I'll call you guys when I get to town."  Brian disconnected.

                "So much for a relaxing weekend," Dustin muttered, as he turned the stereo back up.

                I leaned my head against the window and watched the scenery rush by.  I had no idea what was in store for me, and I was nervous to be meeting with a real Magic Caster.  Things had begun to spiral out of control.  Learning to manage the Link in the beginning had been confusing, but now I was dealing with things so far beyond my comprehension.  Auras, visions, telekinesis.  I had read about some of those things in paranormal fiction books as a teenager, but this wasn't the world of fiction.  This was the real world.  And now, I was on my way to meet a magically gifted woman who was, supposedly, the one with all the answers to my questions.

                "It looks like you and Brian have gotten close."  Dustin kept his eyes on the road, a hint of envy in his voice.

                I looked at him and frowned.  "Are you serious?  You're jealous?"

                "Just surprised.  You guys hated each other a few weeks ago, and now you want him to be with you when you meet Savannah?"

                "Dustin, he's trying to help me. Don't you want me to get along with your family?"

                He sighed.  "I'm just frustrated that I can't help you more.  It seems like our Link gets in the way of your concentration, and even though I know it's not true, I'm feeling like you don't need me anymore."

                I took his hand in mine, and mentally willed my feelings of love into his consciousness.  "I love you.  There will never be anyone more important to me than you.  But right now, everything is so crazy.  Please don't get jealous.  I need your complete support to get through all of this."