Chapter 21

"The key is to completely clear your mind before setting up the block."

                It was my first day training with Brian.  He had printed out the information Savannah sent, and we had been going through the first exercise for almost two hours. I felt like a kindergartener in a foreign school.

                "It's like dropping a curtain over your subconscious.  That way you only allow certain things into your mind."

                I took a deep breath and nodded.  I sat completely still and tried to clear my mind.  "Clear, clear, clear," I pushed my brain to respond.

                "Now, when you're ready, I want you to pick up this necklace of Dani's and try to block the vision."

                I focused for a moment longer and reached for the necklace.  When my fingers touched it, I felt a sharp pain, before the vision came, uninvited.  I was standing in a dark room, surrounded by three angry men.  I inhaled sharply.  "Drop the curtain, Katie."  Brian's voice weaved into my head.

                I closed my eyes and imagined a black curtain falling over me.  When I opened them, I was back in the hotel room.  "I did it!"  I exclaimed. Point one for the freak!

                He grinned and took the necklace from my hands.  "Excellent work!"

                I took a sip of my coffee and leaned my head back, massaging my temples.  "This is draining."

                Brian nodded.  "It will be at first.  But the more you practice, the easier it will be.  We've only been working for a few hours and you've already pulled yourself out of a vision."

                "But don't you think it will be harder with a real person's energy, as opposed to an object?"

                He shrugged.  "We'll find out.  Dani will be here soon."

                I felt a little panic.   "Are you sure we should rush into using a person so quickly?" Showing my weird new talents to Dani wasn't at the top of my happy list.

                "Objects only possess trace amounts of personal energy.  Savannah says the best way to practice is with a real person.  Dani is the best choice, because you spend so much time together."

                "What about Dustin?"

                Brian shook his head.  "Your Link with Dustin makes you more susceptible to his energy.  His visions are, in essence, your visions.  Blocking him will be next to impossible for a while. After you master the skills, we'll revisit the idea.  Now, while we wait for Dani, let's keep working with the necklace."

                I sighed and sat up straighter in the chair.  Brian held the gold chain out to me, and I reached for it.   "Block it," I told myself.  "Drop the curtain."  The familiar pain shot through my head, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut.  When I opened them, I was in Shawn's room, sitting on his bed.  He was smiling at me, his deep green eyes glowing vibrantly.  He leaned towards me; his lips pursed into a kiss.

                "Drop the curtain!" my mental voice yelled.  "Ugh!"  I screeched, out loud.  I heard a loud pop, and I was back in the hotel room again.

                Brian was standing in front of me, his eyes wide with surprise. 

                "What was that?"  I asked, looking around. The too close encounter with Shawn had my stomach flopping over itself.  It was like almost being kissed by my brother.