Nine: Under the Same Stars

Soft breezes of wind brushed against the bare skin of Rey's arms the moment she stepped outside

Soft breezes of wind brushed against the bare skin of Rey's arms the moment she stepped outside. She let go of the handle, the door closing behind her from the wind. She had never felt air so gentle as a whisper. Her hair fell delicately behind her shoulders, the strands swaying against her ears. Rey smiled at the smoothness of it. Nights on Jakku were never this cold. Coming from a planet with harsh temperatures and cruel winds that only brought on more heat, Rey thought she'd never experience weather so calm as this kind.

Rey lifted her head to the midnight sky, her eyes lost in the ocean of stars and searched for her constellations. Sadly, she'd never learned the true names of any constellations after all the nights she's spent with them back in Jakku. Whenever she found a collection of stars, she gave them a name of her own.

Rey drew in a breath. She forced every fiber of her being to sink into the scenery of the black sky, the milky moon, and the luminance of the stars. She hoped all of it combined would fill her head with the clarity she needed to go back to sleep.

Please. . .only you can save me.

It's been a couple nights since she had that dream, but she could still clearly hear the desperation in his voice. The ache of his enduring pain. His face, crumpled and covered in tears. It was just a dream, she told herself. Just a very weird dream. But it felt too real. . .

"You're outside this time," a voice behind her announced.

Rey's heart skipped a beat.

She jumped off the ground in fear, turning around to see whom the voice belonged to. "What the Kriff, Ben!"

Ren cocked his head to the side, a small peak of a grin at the end of his lips. "Aw, did you already forget about me?"

And Rey couldn't miss the obvious amusement in his tone.

The very image of him on his knees in front of her played in her mind. The image of his face buried in her abdomen, her fingers in his hair. She forced to put it out of her mind, knowing it all was just one silly dream. And now that Ben was here in front of her once again, she grit her teeth, shooting daggers at him for scaring her. "When did you get here? I would have sensed you."

"I don't know for myself," he told her, honestly. "I finished taking a shower a while ago then I see you and. . .here I am."

"At least you have a shirt on this time," she muttered, her eyes scanning his regular black uniform, though it was hard to see with barely any light out.

His grin had spread wider. "I don't remember you complaining last time."

Rey folded her arms over her chest. "That's because you were too busy showing off your high-waisted pants."