Twenty-Seven: "After All This Time?"

After they blew up what remained of the First Order, everyone had taken this given opportunity to rest up and relax during the rest of their trip

After they blew up what remained of the First Order, everyone had taken this given opportunity to rest up and relax during the rest of their trip. Until Chewbacca could repair the ship, they were unable to use light speed which meant it'll be a longer journey to Naboo than they were expecting.

Ben took pleasure in taking a nap, which was better said than done as it didn't last long from the very obnoxious shaking and loud stirring noises coming all throughout the Falcon as they currently went through an asteroid field. He decided to throw his jacket he used as a blanket aside and give up on trying to go back to sleep by checking on Rey.

Last time he checked on her, she was soundly asleep—dead to the world after all her distress. He thought it was better if she focused on recovering after all the pain she sufficed and blood she lost than to wake her up just so he could talk to her. He was more than pleased she could get the rest she needed to catch up on. Unlike Ben, after what he went through, he felt so worn out that maybe sleep couldn't fix it.

So Rey it was.

He slowly made his way to the bench where he left her, only to see Finn and Rose huddled together, leaning on each other as they're both asleep. Even R2 was beside them, having powered off. His version of sleep. If she wasn't there, Ben figured, there was only one other place Rey would be.

Because he also figured she wouldn't stay asleep for long if it meant the Wookie would have to do all the work to secure the ship.

He walked past the pair to head to the cockpit. And there she happened to be, co-piloting the ship.

Ben stepped in, rolling the sleeves of his woolen black sweater up to his elbows, wondering whether he should stand there or take a seat. Being in the cockpit was all too surreal for him. Everything reminded him of his father. The feelings that his father felt towards this ship, how important it was to him. His father loved this ship that Ben equally loathed it once he realized his father would rather spend most of his time on the Falcon instead of his own son. It was only a matter of time his father would get rid of his son and take off on his beloved piece of junk.

His eyes flickered around, studying the multi-colored lights overhead as if it were the first time he's seen them. He looked at the empty seat beside him, forcing a cough as he chose to lean against the seat, always having preferred to stand anyway. Ben observed Rey as she was in complete concentration, witnessing the intensity in her eyes and flexility in her hands as they toyed around the controls to make the ride more smoothly after what they went though from the asteroid field. Ben stood there for some time, beginning to wonder if she had even noticed his presence until she leaned back in her seat and lifted her face, shooting him a bright, smiling glance.

Ben returned the smile with one more solemn, knowing this sense of peace and quiet was only temporary. Because he shouldn't get used to the silence in the room and the calming scenery of the stars spread out in the distance. There was a lot that awaited for him in Naboo. A mess he had to fix—his mess.