Thirty-Two: Something In the Rain

Gray

Gray.

Everything was gray.

The whole sky was covered with clouds in distinct shades of it, knitted together to block out the horrid blazing sun. The grass field surrounding Rey darkened to a deep moss green she's only ever seen in the forest she ran through when trying to escape from the clutches of her once nemesis.

Rey took a deep breath of the organic aroma from life at her feet. She knew she made a clever choice to spend her afternoon outside, wanting to enjoy the serendipity of the weather on this ordinary day. It's been a week since they've arrived in Naboo. Once Rey saw how cloudy it was here like on Ahch-To, she immediately ran out of the palace probably ten minutes ago, remembering the feeling of rain back on the island.

Rey slipped through the back exit of the palace walls, losing herself to the endless green hills decorated by an assortment of vibrant, blossoming flowers she couldn't name.

The desert girl raised her chin up to the sky to look directly up at the clouds, feeling droplets of fresh water tapping against her skin.

A gust of wind breezed by, hurdling through Rey's purple dyed fabrics. Her loose hair flew wildly towards the west, the now tangled strands sticking to her face. She couldn't enjoy this weather as much as she did now. She closed her eyes, feeling the raindrops trickling against her cheeks, falling along her lips and she took a taste of it like it held the secret to eternal youth.

Rey spread her arms out, her hands cupping the raindrops as they grazed her fingertips. She found herself spinning, round and round with laughter and humming filling up the silence. She wished she could live here forever, remembering all the days she spent back on Jakku wishing it'd rain there instead of dealing with the wretched sun beating against her skin.

It wasn't until Rey dropped her head, opening her eyes did she catch a glimpse of a figure in black through her blurred vision, standing a few yards away, watching her. She instantly stopped spinning, gasping from shock. She put her hands over her mouth, her lips refusing to smile out of embarrassment despite her vision clearing up to expose the figure's identity. Rey eyed the person standing with her on this open field, watching a cheeky smile work its way on the man's face.

The man smoothed out the wavy locks on his head as they tangled together from the strong gusts of wind. "No, please continue," he told her, unable to hold back the smile on his face. He crossed his arms over his chest, eyeing her up close. "I was just waiting for you to trip."

Rey chuckled, placing her hands on her hips. "So you can watch me fall and laugh?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. "So I'd have an excuse to run over there and catch you."

Rey hoped her cheeks didn't show how flustered she felt when she thought of Ben catching her in his arms like some damsel she would never be. Still. . .the thought of him holding her. . .The heat inside her cheeks warmed up her entire face in spite of the coldness all around her.