Ten: All That The Light Touches

The next night, Ren and Rey met in her room

The next night, Ren and Rey met in her room. Both stood on opposite sides, making their way over to each other. They both stopped halfway, thinking a reasonable amount of space may be good (though they didn't talk about this).

Rey kept her head down, suddenly feeling so anxious to be around Ren. It was like she was afraid to look at him in the eyes. Not that she was afraid of him. She never had been. Sure, he had given her more than enough reasons to be so, even more to not trust him, to not give him the time of day—but that was another story.

Right now, she had jitters to be in a personal proximity with anyone, especially him at the moment. Funny to think that these feelings came after she discovered this intimate connection she shared with the one person she once would rather kill than share deep, sacred thoughts with.

Rey was all bubbly inside and she couldn't understand why. Her stomach was in knots and her chest was an inflated balloon. She drew in long, heavy breaths through her nostrils knowing he heard her just a few feet away from her. Eventually, her eyes fluttered, trying to sneak a peek at him through the loose, thin strands of hair cascading down her forehead.

Rey wiped a hand at the back of her neck, feeling tiny droplets of sweat tricking down her hot skin. She did her best to continue to secretly swat the incoming sweat dripping down from her neck in panic.

Rey was just outside a moment ago, doing some training with Finn who offered her to teach her some new tricks around a blaster when he noticed her boredom. She now regretted the decision after she took just one sniff of the thick, repulsive odor radiating off of her body. Being from a desert planet and all, she's used to obscene body-odors and uncontrollable sweat. She's been to the point where she hasn't bathed in weeks and she thought she'd suffocate to the smell of bacteria eating away at the sweat and dying skin cells.

So now, Rey worried he would feel the same way. She feared that he would smell the awful stench. In these conversations he had with her, Rey barely wondered if could even smell the same scents she did. She couldn't recount being able to do it on his end either.

Eventually, the awkward silence became so deafening that Rey decided to make the first move and greet him with a casual, "Hi."

"Hi," he replied back, not knowing what else to say other than that.

Rey sensed something off from his end. She felt a sadness radiating off from his end. She saw it in the way he stood—his head down, arms dropped at his sides and his back arched. He looked tired and uncomfortable. Maybe he was just like that being around her but she knew this had to do more with being restless. Maybe he's not getting enough sleep? Maybe another nightmare?

"What's wrong?"

"Just another nightmare," he murmured, shrugging his shoulders slowly wishing the effects didn't show too much on him. Though since its Rey and all, of course she'd be able to piece it together.