Thirty-Five: "Came From Somewhere"

The next day, Rey and Ben sat on floor beneath the foot of their shared bed

The next day, Rey and Ben sat on floor beneath the foot of their shared bed. They spent their morning drinking tea and eating pastries while preoccupying themselves with indoor activities. That was after she got Ben all to herself after he went off to run errands with her mother as General Organa was progressing forward with the development of the New Republic.

Rey crossed her legs, making more room for her puzzle pieces, picking one up that laid just beside Ben's legs as they were sprawled out. He was too busy to notice, reading a very, very thick book Rey wouldn't want to stick her nose into.

A ray of sunlight streamed through the crack between the two emerald-green curtains, reflecting off her puzzle pieces. The desert girl held a hand out, using the Force to open the curtains and let the natural light in. This caused Ben to lift his head up, seeing the work she had done. Unaffected, he turned back to his book, his focus on the information he gained page after page.

Rey lifted her head to the glossy decorative ceiling that shined even brighter due to the sunlight. Her eyes traced the different patterns painted across the smooth wall. She wondered who could have painted such a thing, taking the time to perfect every small detail to create something so beautiful as a whole.

Rey looked back down at her puzzle, seeing she was only one-fourth in accomplishing the puzzle, wondering what it was suppose to resemble. So far, she has only gotten a mountain that stood above into a grass field.

Maybe this is the background of the palace?

Rey glanced at Ben, seeing his face change from an intense, concentrated look to a more surprised, in awe fashion. She could tell that he continued to learn more and more from whatever was contained in that book. It was simply a genuine passion of his to gain knowledge.

Rey lifted another puzzle piece that belonged somewhere in the middle of the puzzle. There was a soft green to the left of a glint of gold. And with a curiosity of her own, Rey cut through the silence to ask her companion, "Tell me what it was like to grow up at the academy."

Ben didn't look up from his book. "What do you mean?"

Rey twisted the puzzle piece in her fingers, trying to rearrange her words. She felt a bit of embarrassment bite the back her tongue. "What was it like. . .to grow up with other kids, you know, that are, or were, sort of like us. . .at the Jedi Academy."

Ben glanced at his scavenger when he answered, "Well, I. . .I didn't get along with most of them."

"You didn't have any friends?" she asked him, unable to mask her sympathy which she knew would bother Ben.

He dipped his chin, lifting his eyebrows at her. "You are my friend."

Rey rolled her eyes. "Don't avoid the question," she told him, tossing the puzzle piece at his lap. She reached for another one amongst the pile of other lost pieces on the deep purple carpet. She shifted her body around so she could face him. "Think about it, maybe it was because you got special treatment from your uncle?"