Nightmare ((Chapter 3))

At first I thought I was simply dreaming. Well, I knew I was asleep though for some reasons, I felt strange. I never expected it to be more than what I perceived.

I found myself in the middle of somewhere, a place too absurd to describe. All was but real. Everything was lit in dim crimson, with an outlandish whirlwind dancing wildly around me.

I could see myself but I know I didn't exist here, I wasn't supposed to be here, like I was simply an illusion. I felt a chill in the pit of my stomach, making me uneasy. I could feel that I was being watched. As if someone other than myself was inside my dream. Not just any character, but one with a mind of it's own.

Suddenly, a shadowy figure appeared a few feet from me. I stepped back, not in horror but as a reflex.

'Help me...'

The deep, ominous voice gave my heart a shock. Was it talking to me? That blurred, unidentified creature?

Without giving it a second glance, I broke into a sprint. My legs couldn't run fast enough, but I knew I couldn't stay still. This had to be a nightmare. I needed to get out of here, at once.

I had this notion that this would be my end, if I didn't wake up soon.

*****

I gasped as my eyes opened. My clammy hands shoved my damp hair away from my face. Oh god, I was shaking. I sat up, and took a deep breath to calm myself.

Relief flooded me as I realized that I woke up. I didn't get chased. Although a tiny part of my mind had a different reaction.

''What the heck? I just had the best day of my lifetime! So why am I having this hellish dream?''

I looked around and saw the time. Great. Exactly 3:00am. I gritted my teeth as I remembered the superstitions my late grandma taught me. She said that it's the Hour of the Devil. I felt a shiver ran down my spine as I recalled the strange being I saw. I distracted myself with a soft hum, and pulled my hidden picture of Yhuelle from my drawer.

It was not a good shot, the angle too tilted to clearly see his face. But it was enough. His 'presence' somehow made me feel safe, and I ended up having a short but dreamless slumber.