Voice ((Chapter 5))

*** Yhuelle's POV ***

I held her dearly in my arms, trying to make her as comfortable as possible. She looked tired, purple rings shadowing her eyes like bruises. Those nightmares had haunted her for too long.

The Spirits help me, I was sure that this was his fault. Lord Ember must be behind all this. He was desperate to have her back. I needed to act now, or else everything would be too late.

I whispered a transporting chant and within a second, we were back inside her room. I laid her on the bed and removed her shoes. I placed her spectacles back into their casing on her side table, and fixed warm sheets over her. She looked peaceful when she's asleep. I watched her calm face for who-knows-how-long, and finally decided to compose myself.

Should I erase her memory again? The one I did after her abduction worked well. She couldn't remember a single thing.

Although I hated to do this to her, I had no other choice left. It's better to let her know nothing.

I felt the magic rushed out of my left hand as I touched her forehead. I cocked my head to the side as I encountered a small crack on the spell. Something was weird. It seemed like the seal I placed on her was getting weaker.

Did Rolan and Hernan intercepted with my spell? Were they strong enough to do that? I needed to be more careful, if that was the case.

I shifted through her memories and locked on the back of her mind the unnecessary ones. I smiled to myself when I encountered one of her trivial actions. It piqued my interest. Her little ceremonies really do amuse me.

Hmm.. when did she took it? I didn't know she had a picture of me. She was hiding it inside her cabinet. How childish.

So it plagues away her worries, huh? I laughed bitterly. Though ironic, this was so like her. That fact hadn't changed at all, no matter how many times I rewrite her memories. She still held me dearly inside her sweet, little heart. Was our bond really that strong? Almost unbreakable?

Before I realized it, I was kissing her. Her soft pink lips parted a little as I gently pushed mine. I tenderly touched her cheeks, and sighed.

"I really miss you, Abrielle. So much it pains my heart... But this is for your safety, my princess."

After I was done, I checked everything around her just to make sure nothing is wrong. I left at once, without gazing back.

*****

She came to class early as usual, taking her seat without greeting anyone. She's fixing something inside her bag. When her head turned to me, I immediately averted her gaze and pretended to be reading Wuthering Heights again.

Why was it that she didn't talk with anybody? Why didn't she make friends? She's quite pathetic to look at, being all alone in her corner.

I was here as her protector, but to see her in that state pained me. She really did not belong here, and her little airs placed some distance from her and our classmates. Sometimes, I couldn't control myself and talked to her.

The greatest mistake I ever did.

The very reason why I always rewrite her memories was that so she would forget everything about her past. But my mere presence was a taboo. I am part of her past.

I couldn't find enough strength to part from her. And my weakness was the root of all. Without me, she could stay here and be 'normal'. Like the humans here do.

A voice on the back of my head laughed at the thought.

"How can you expect Abrielle to be normal?" the voice sneered. "She's a royalty, and the Core of our world, for crying out loud! How dare you confine her inside this dull, forsaken world? What an abominable act!"

This is for the best, I replied.

"You're only selfish, young Yhuelle Argout. She did not wish for this."

Because she's so selfless, she can't voice out her protests. She can't be happy there.

"Do you think she's enjoying herself now, huh?"

That hit a point. I looked at her again and noticed that she was bored and indifferent, and the like. Is all this a mistake?

"Not all, my young one. It's good you saved her from being a puppet. But don't you think that she has the right to know everything?"

But -

"Abrielle is Abrielle. You can't change that fact. She needs to know herself better than you did. Fool."

Reluctantly, I agreed.

Goodbye, my Master. Thank you for your kind advice.

"Hey, wait! Argout! I've lost contact with you for half a year and you - "

The mental telepathy cut off, making my head once again private and my own. I thrashed the idea inside my head for hours, seeing the pros and cons like some kind of debater. I practically sacrificed everything now, just for her sake. What's there to lose?

Of course. Her. The thought was like a mental slap.

If I tell her the truth, would she hate me?

I noticed that the class had ended, and as I watched Nancy leaving, I finally made my decision.