Price ((Chapter 28))

*** Alaire's POV ***

How long have we been running? Geez... I already stopped counting after I've finished a span of five hundred breathings. Hours must have passed by since we've met, yet we were still unable to leave.

"Ali, are you positive you know the way out?" Abrielle asked as she ran beside me.

"Yup," I replied coolly, although I was already panicking. I knew I came in through here.. It's not something I would just make up. I came in and traveled in a straight path. I shifted Yhuelle's position on my back when he groaned. I peeked behind me and saw Ab's weary face. "Are you tired?"

"Just a little," she smiled faintly. "I'm fine."

"I think you don't have to run with us," I said as I ceased into a slow walk. "We are the only ones who need to leave. You're staying here. This is your head, after all."

Her face was torn between the expression of grief, hopelessness and hesitation. When she spoke, it was almost inaudible. "I want to stay with you guys till you leave. This might be the last time I'm like this. When I wake up, I would be different."

"You are still you, I assure you."

"But still -"

"All right, all right. I don't wanna have this talk right now. We need to get this bastard out in a hurry. If we are too late, he may never wake up."

She nodded and we started running again. I wasn't even sure whether to call it 'running' was appropriate. it was more like 'floating' or 'flying'. But there was no ground and no sky, so I couldn't tell which. Suddenly, our surroundings changed. The black shadows gradually turned into thin gray wisps of smoke. I narrowed my eyes when I perceived a small white spark off a distance.

"Yes!" I couldn't stop the relief I felt. I ran faster now, knowing that safety lies ahead. Apparently, it was the exit of her consciousness. I turned around and saw her standing just a few feet behind me. "We're leaving Ab. Be sure to wake up with us, okay?"

She simply smiled amiably in response, though I could clearly see the dread in her eyes. Like her, I didn't want to come back to reality. I didn't want to start again the wheel of Fate and undo the complications we face there. She waved us goodbye, but I saw a tear fell down from her soft green eyes. I pretended not to notice.

"See ya," I grinned as I stepped into the light.

*** Yhuelle's POV***

I was falling from a great height, faster and faster by a second. I eyed the rock-hard ground that was waiting for me at the bottom. I knew I could do nothing. Surely, it would hurt. I closed my eyes as I wait for the inevitable pain.

Three.

Two.

One.

My eyes suddenly opened.

"Yhuelle!"

"Argout!"

"Good heavens! Ooh.."

I felt a couple of arms around me, choking me to near-death, before I actually saw them. Everyone was inside Abrielle's room, fat tears streaming from their eyes. They were laughing, crying and talking all at the same time. But I couldn't process my thoughts fast enough. What happened, and why were they here?

"Hey, step back guys," a black-haired heterochromic stood beside me, pushing them away. "Give him some space. Let him breathe first."

Oh. Right. Breathe. I sucked in a supply of air, filling my lungs completely, and exhaled. Good, now my chest wasn't aching. It felt nice.