Battle ((Chapter 19))

***Abrielle's POV ***

"Did you like my present, dear one?"

I took an involuntary step backward. I forgot to breathe for a second, but quickly composed myself when I realized who I was facing. It was really him. His voice had a queer edge on it, like I was missing some inside joke. There was something more in those words, and I obviously overlooked. It must be my imagination.

Imagination...?

"You bastard!" I said through clenched teeth.

"How unladylike," he smiled as he cocked his head to his side.

I can't believe this! I got tricked! I didn't sense the illusion spell he casted on me, and here I was, simply playing on the palms of his dirty hands. I should have been prepared for this. I should have known. It was HIS specialty. Among the Alphas, he is the Illusion Master. And among his disorienting skills, the worst of them was the second form of Confusion, the ability to manipulate one's feelings.

For a moment, I felt relief. I really love Yhuelle and I always will. I quickly chanted a counter spell, while pulling layered barriers on my mind.

The shadows danced around me, swirling away like vanishing black smoke. Light penetrated from all sides, making Embry's white robe glint against his olive skin. Everything around us dissolved, the rocks, the ground, even the sounds of trickling water and the sound of the moving air.

Suddenly, we were not in the Tunnel of Secklusio anymore. We were beside the Tree of Eternity, in the innermost garden of the palace. It took me a second to comprehend what happened. My memory looped over something. What have I missed?

Things came back in a flash. I saw myself running, stumbling, rising and running again. I didn't wait for Alaire when I reached the giant boulder. I didn't hesitate. I made it through the cave. I was able to leave. I arrived in this garden, and found Rolan waiting for me. Embry wasn't initially here. But he wanted to meet me, so he had Rolan to buy my time. Rolan was out in a mere twenty- second battle of wits. But those seconds were enough for Embry to arrive. And to make his grand entrance, he used Confusion on me.

"It seemed like you've lost your edge when it comes to a battle of magic, my Lady." His tone was plain, but I knew he was enjoying insulting me.

"I may have. My power remained dormant for a year, But I can take you on, without breaking a sweat." I replied, putting as much acid as I can on my voice.

I was lying on the first part. It was a lame excuse. The very reason why I was captured within his spell was because I was defenseless when I came out. I don't have any available magical power within then. But I can't exactly tell him that.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. My insides were throbbing. I knew these formalities will soon end, that the fight between us is a matter of life and death. If lucky, his death...

"That," he smirked. "I can't agree with you."

While we were talking, I was secretly absorbing the magical power of the Tree of Eternity little by little so he won't notice. The Tunnel's effect will be a disadvantage for me against an Alpha. Fortunately, the tree has enough reserves to replenish an eight of my power, without killing itself. Right now, I may not be in my best form, but I would surely make myself an annoying opponent for him.

Without notice, he disappeared from my line of vision. My body reacted on its own. I leaped to the sky and landed on a thin platform within my storm's Eye. Rough winds enveloped me while destroying other life forms touching near it.

"An impressive wind - user as always."

I turned to the source of his voice, which was a mistake. It was just another trick. In reality, he was just on the opposite side. I didn't know it until his arms passed through my winds without a scratch.