Sands of Time ((Chapter 14))

*** Alaire's POV ***

"Don't you know the word KNOCK?"

I stood frozen as a completely shriveled man appeared behind the broken door. Frowning, he scrutinized me with a pair of cold crimson eyes. He was very old. No, I think 'ancient' is more appropriate.

He continued to glare at me.

"Where are the manners of the young ones these days? Hah!" He spoke in a hoarse but irritated voice.

"Well, er, I'm sorry Sir." I bowed apologetically. "I didn't meant to break your door. It's just that I was lost and..."

"Lost?" He chuckled to himself. "You don't know what you're talking about. Didn't you want to come here?"

"Here?" I gasped. I looked around, seeing the entire room for once. I am inside a homey blue room, complete with a couch and a fireplace. Not the room you'll expect to see from outside.

"I am Partheo, Sir Razi's Keeper. I am the one who enchanted you."

"You?" I asked in surprise.

"Are you deaf? Don't make me repeat myself!" he growled. What a nasty old geezer.

"Try to keep your thoughts nice young man."

Oh. You can hear my thoughts?

He nodded wearily. Sheesh, how old is he? Ain't he suppose to be resting himself?

Due to my thoughts, he let a small smirk spread across his face. He trudged slowly to the couch and sat uncomfortably. Standing must have tired him too much.

"I am the one who leads Sir's clients to his latest hideout. I use enchantment on them to make them come here. Of course, before I let them in, I check their thoughts to make sure they are not spies or assassins." He let out a sigh, his fragile arms motioning me towards the fireplace.

"A portal?"

"Yes. That will lead you to him. Now, off you go. We don't have eternity!"

*****

I paced faster.

Two bulky men, both taller than me, escorted me underground. I watched them from the corners of my eyes, trying to figure them out. They were both so different, yet so much alike. The one on my left was tanned, his sandy hair tied in a sloppy ponytail. The guy on my other side has jet black, weedy hair, highlighting his chalky pale skin. Despite their physical appearance, they walk in exactly the same silent but brisk manner. They have identical stature, even their arms move at the same pace. Their clothes were also matching. Both of them wore hard, white masks, covering their entire faces.

If you ask me, they looked pretty stupid in it, and that made me hide a grin. Are all Shadow's men eccentric? Or is this just his taste?

After about a few minutes, they led me to the most magnificent room I've seen for years. Everything here spells money and gold.

The doors were made from heavy burgundy wood, polished and carved with intricate feline designs. As I entered, the first thing I noticed was the size of the room. A hundred people can fit in it! God, am I really underground?

The most expensive and rarest stuffs from all over Celes can be found here. Name it, see it. From great spell books to glossy robes, huge cabinets filled with various things. life-sized statues, paintings, animal hides, enchanted tools, maps, and so much more!

In the middle of this luxury stood two humongous golden couches. On one of those couches sat a blonde nobleman with ash mauve eyes. Dozens of cats accompanied him; they were scattered inside the whole room.