Destiny ((Chapter 34))

*** Alaire's POV ***

.

.

.

What was this feeling?

Was something wrong with me?

My heart felt like it was pumping air, condensed air, instead of thick blood.

Wrong. It couldn't be called a heart anymore. The damage was too severe that I'm surprised it's still functioning. Calling it a mangled organ would fit better. So, what's wrong? Was my heart finally giving up? Was the stress too much?

My chest felt heavy, to the point that the act of breathing required effort, and hollow at the same time. Maybe it was caused by Abrielle's abrasive decision. Maybe it was the sight of Orrin in ruins. Maybe it was Yhuelle's indifference to what's happening to our world. Maybe it was my fear of losing her. Too many maybe's... all plausible, but didn't feel right.

Maybe it was the fact, that I knew deep within, we couldn't make it in time.

You're too late, my mind shouted.

The breakdown of the Core had started. Within mere hours, or minutes, our world would face its end. This was where I choose. Abrielle or Celes?

Clearly, the man beside me had chosen, and he had the will of steel with him. As for me, I couldn't decide. I love Abrielle, but I love our world too. I wanted her to live, god, she's only eighteen years old. She's so young, only a year apart from me. She never experienced a normal, peaceful life. It was full of hardships and painful decisions. Was happiness too much for her to ask?

I couldn't abandon Celes either. It was our birthplace, our treasure, the world that everyone cherished. Losing it would be like losing our history, our magic, and everything that defined who we are now.

Damn you, indecision!

Although I didn't want to, I needed to decide. Who weighed more? Who to choose? Abrielle, or everyone?

*****

"Aren't we there yet?" Yhuelle asked impatiently.

"Sorry, dude. Blame Ab. We took a longer route 'cause of the traps she laid."

"About how many leagues away are we from Pandaea?"

"Around fifty, perhaps."

He stood up, unmindful that Karr was gliding in the grayish sky at his full speed. He flexed his fingers, a habit he had before casting a time-space warping spell.

"Oh right. We're in the radius," I said with realization.

He was going to teleport us to Pandaea once we were about forty leagues away, the maximum distance of the spell.

"Get your butt here in the circle, Alaire."

"I get it, I get it. I'm no good with balancing stuffs, you know?"

It was difficult to stand upright on a moving object, let alone a flying one. As soon as I straightened my legs, my knees buckled and I fell backwards. Fortunately, Yhuelle grabbed me on my shirt. He pulled me into his circle, and in an instant, we weren't on Karr's back anymore.

I really hated teleporting spells. It was exhilarating, yeah, but it upset my insides. It never failed to mess my sense of place and balance too, although the last one was really just me.

"Ugh!" The hard pavement hit me on the back, letting the air gush out from my lungs. My vision was blurry for a few seconds. All I could see was green. We were probably in the heart of a thick forest. When I was fully recovered, I saw the enormous black temple of Pandaea not far from us. We were already on the sacred island.