Confusion ((Chapter 7))

I stood there frozen. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't even think. Everything made no sense.

I simply stared at him, and he grinned back idiotically.

What did he just called me?

"Where - ?"

"I told you, we're in Celes now."

I looked around. It's true, we're not in the city anymore. The gray buildings and colorful houses were not in sight. Instead, we were in the middle of a jungle. Great, ancient trees loomed over us as the light from above scattered in patches on the grass-covered ground. I could hear no chatter of pedestrians, nor honking of cars. Only the sound of the wind and the voices of hidden creatures existed in this unearthly paradise.

My head felt light and everything became tilted.

"Hey! Don't faint!" The stranger rushed to me and supported me to stand. He towed me towards a small space under a giant tree.

"Are you fine?" he asked worriedly. "What can I do?"

"Just tell me I'm not crazy," I groaned.

"You're not," he laughed. "Bet you couldn't believe it. Yhuelle keeps on babying you too much."

"Me? Babying who? What are you talking about? And why the hell did you drag me here for? I thought we need to go to Yhuelle." I spoke too fast that the words came out like a slur, ruining the serious tone I used. He guffawed like a jester, and held his belly.

"Now, my Lady. Keep your temper in check. And..." He pulled the glasses off my face. I grabbed his hand and tried to reach it.

"Give that back! I can't see," I protested. I tried to jump higher but he was too tall for me.

"You don't need it," he said coolly. How I hate him!

Something fell, followed by a shattering sound. That alarmed me.

"My glasses! You broke it!" I immediately knelt and groped on the ground. I felt a sting of pain as the shards wounded me. But I couldn't find the frame. Suddenly, he pulled me up again.

"Don't be silly. Look, you're bleeding!"

"I can't see, stupid," I retorted.

As we sat on one corner, he attended to the cuts on my hands. It was an awkward silence. He didn't say even one word of apology. I could feel anger brewing inside me, but decided to keep it in check. How could he do that? He's so rude, and he kept on making fun of me. I couldn't forgive him. Even if he knelt in front of me and wept, I wouldn't talk to him.

"You probably don't remember, but the three of us used to play a lot when we were kids."

"We?" 

Ugh! I just told myself I'll give him the silent treatment! I felt like an idiot, but his words were beyond unexpected so I let it go.

"Yeah, together with Yhuelle. Oh. I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Alaire le Davratte. You used to call me Ali," he grinned, but I can feel sorrow behind his words. He's hiding something, I could sense it.

"Ali," I stressed. "Can you tell me clearly what this is all about? Hello, I'm quite lost here."

"Well..."

He gently touched my eyes and kissed them. The warmth from his fingers seemed to transfer to me. Then suddenly, I could see clearly. I saw him smile as he sat in front of me. I could feel my jaw dropped, and tried to close it but couldn't. Blood flooded my face, I must be as red an an apple. Totally embarrassing!!

He laughed at my expression. I turned away from him and bit my lip. After a minute, I took a rapid glance and saw him rubbing his temples. His face looked kind of serious.

"I don't know where to start," he frowned. "This will be a lot easier if only you can remember."

Now it's my turn to frown. "You've been talking since we met like I got some amnesia. I can perfectly recall anything, Ali. Whatta heck is wrong now?"

"Bastard Yhuelle!" he growled. "That overprotective fool!" He begun to cuss, and I've got no choice but to wrinkle my nose in annoyance. "Stay still," he ordered me.

He closed his eyes with his right palm over my head. He kept on muttering to himself. "... I'm not as strong as him, but maybe I can try to remove the spell.. the memories are sealed... what is this - ?"

He reopened his eyes and shook his head. "It's no use. I can't find a way in."

"Excuse me," I squeaked. "Are you human?"

"Of course! Do I look like a monster or some creature like that one?" He pointed a weird scaly animal that was like a hybrid of a bird and a mouse. I shook my head.

"Then why - ?"

"I'm a spell caster. Actually, both of us are. Yhuelle too." He stared at me, maybe trying to assess my reaction. I simply sat dumbly, his words not sinking in.  

"I know it's hard to believe. That's why I can't explain it because you can't remember anything."

"Just continue on talking. It's up to me whether I believe it or not." I stated with calmness and confidence I didn't know I had. He grinned at me.

"That's more like it. Then, let's start walking now. I'll tell you on the way."

He pulled me up, and we started on the path in front of us.