Prologue

This is the first story I have ever written. I was... fifteen at the time, I think. For an Asian, that's a feat very few could achieve. This has lots of grammar mistakes and inconsistencies, but I chose to not remove it as a constant reminder of my earlier writing days. =)

I am happy to witness how much I've improve over the years.

"Hey, her Highness is coming!"

A fake blondie and a brunette giggled from their seats.

"Eh? She actually came to class... what a bitch."

I tried to ignore their whispers, which were unfortunately loud enough for me to hear. I took a deep breath as I kept my steady gaze and impassive face. I went straight to my seat and pretended to fix my things. Everyone continued to stare at me. It gave me chills, not that I wasn't used to it.

Out of habit, I opened a classic and started reading. Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott. Sooner or later, they returned to their chatters. I sighed as my stiff shoulders relaxed.

My dear classmates had always called me the 'Ice Queen'. Not that I literally own an Ice Palace or anything.

The reason was because I'm a bore, to the point that they concluded I hated society. I never mingled with them. I was always alone, reading a book or doing other trivial stuffs. I never even made a friend since I started studying in this school, which was a year ago. Not even half of the class have spoken to me, even once.

It's not that I was being a snob or anything. It's just that I didn't know what to say or what to do. I was not used with socializing. I felt uncomfortably ashamed.

Though, no one understood me. They probably thought that I preferred to be alone, so they let me be.

Who sane person would want that?

*****

He stood out among the class.

Not only because he is a new student, but because he is abnormal. As in A.B.N.O.R.M.A.L.L.Y good-looking.

"My name is Yhuelle Linton." I heard him say when some of my classmates approached him. His voice was calm and cool, like a breeze. I strained my ears to hear him more, but the loud noise my classmates made drowned his voice. I wished I could go to him and simply talk like the rest did. But it would be a slap on my pride and my self-esteem. A slap to the character my classmates made me play in.

Maybe it would be better if I should just content myself by just watching him.

*****

"That is Nancy Montenegro, the Ice Queen. Remember to stay away from her, darling. She's a slut."

Oh great. Hannah Gray, one of my enemies in class, was already ruining my image to the newbie. Whatta heck - ?

Why was she introducing me to Linton that way? And since when had I become a slut?

If only I have enough courage, I would love to pull all her hair out. To my relief, Linton simply shrugged and said in a clipped tone.

"I don't like calling names. You ought to leave her alone."

After that, he pulled out a classic book and remained engrossed in reading. The others, quite upset by his reaction, removed themselves from his presence.

I smiled to myself. Maybe I was wrong. It seemed like there is someone who can understand me after all. I felt warm blood on my cheeks.

Wait.

What was I saying?

I sounded wrong.

I bit my lip. It sounded as if I like him. Didn't i?

*****

When the lunch bell rang, I immediately went out of the room. I proceeded to my secret place, my personal sanctuary, the abandoned veranda of the emergency fire exit.

The door creaked open as I stepped out. A wide smile spread on my face as the silence welcomed me. I sat on the stairs and started eating my homemade sandwich.

This was what I really craved for. Peace. I loved this place where no one can gossip about me, no one would stare, where no one would care. I could be what I really am.

Perhaps this was what I was really meant to be. I was contented with this. Maybe I didn't need friends. I didn't need anyone.

I knew that I would be fine by myself, just myself, because I could never, ever trust another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wew.

I don't know what to say. Maybe I'm out of ideas. It seems like I'm fond of writing this kind of stories. Hahaha...

Please comment.!