C h a p t e r 19

Draco ran as fast as he could, like the winter breeze colliding into inanimate objects and crashing waves hitting the shore line. Like eagles soaring across indigo skies and a herd of cheetahs racing through verdant meadows. His blonde locks whipped back and forth behind him like a fiery tale as he flung himself over sharp rocks and heavy tree trunks. He didn't know where he was, but he had an idea of where to go.

He kept running, his feet scraping over the hard rocks and slicing open. But he didn't stop. He had to get there. If only he had a wand.....

He gasped for breath as he came to halt in front of a large board.

Hereford

"Granger!", he yelled.

He was sweating, his clothes and hair, slick with perspiration, clinging to his skin. He looked around and one area looked a bit brighter than the others.

F-fire

He bolted towards his left and ran with all he had left inside him. The cold air slapped his cheeks mercilessly, and his breath came out as puffs. He reached a secluded area where there was only one Farmhouse.

And it was on fire.

Draco's heart stopped beating.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Harry and Ginny arrived at Hereford and took off in the direction of a running man. They came to an abrupt halt when the man stopped in front of a farmhouse, and that's when Ginny noticed it was Draco Malfoy.

" Malfoy? ", Harry panted.

Draco turned to look at them and reality kicked in. She's in there. She's alive.

His eyes widened a fraction, and he sprinted in the direction of the farmhouse, not even stopping when he felt blood seeping out of his wounded feet.

Ginny began to cry hysterically at the sight and Harry had to hold her up to prevent her from falling.

" M-Malfoy!", she gasped yelled.

But Draco didn't stop.

And so she struggled out of Harry's hold and rushed towards the blonde.

" NO, GINNY", Harry yelled and took after her.

" Malfoy! Stop! " Ginny caught his shoulder just before he could reach the gates.

" Let go of me ", his words were meant to be sharp, but they came out as a plea.

" You need this ", Ginny said before pointing her wand at his feet and healing them, and holding her wand out to him.

Draco looked at it skeptically for a moment, but then took it.

" Thank you", he mumbled before throwing the gate open and stepping in the fire.

His blood began to boil when he took in the sight. There was fire everywhere. He couldn't see a thing! The smoke was choking him.

" Aguamenti", he said.

Nothing happened.

Frustrated,  he yelled "AGUAMENTI" a gush of water burst out of the wand and he held it up to clear a narrow path.

" Granger! ", he yelled.

" Granger!", he yelled again and walked through what may have been a beautiful garden. He could see the burnt rose petals, and he felt his heart clench. He spotted something by his right foot and he picked it up.

10¾", vine wood, dragon heartstring.

Her wand.

He felt his heat clench painfully in his chest and he broke down. He fell on his knees, and screamed. Tears streamed down his cheeks, his whole face red, and he screamed at the very top of his lungs. His upper body and shoulders wracked with every sob that forced their way out, his chest rose and fell unevenly as he gasped for breath, and  squeezed his eyes shut, balling his hands into fists each time he threw his head back to let out a blood curdling scream.

" Hermione!  ", he yelled and pulled at his hair.

He held the wand up to prevent himself from catching fire, and a slight movement from his left caught his eye.

He stood up, wobbling on his feet, and made his way towards the left. His foot hit something and he cursed. He pointed the wand down to examine what it was.

And he froze.

His senses betraying him as he took in the lifeless, burnt body of Hermione Granger.

"Granger!", his eyes are wide awake now. He squatted down and picked her up, his heart beating frantically fast and missing beats every now and then. He dashed towards where he had come from and held both the wands up, before crashing into the gate, blasting it open and falling to the ground. He cradled her body carefully on top of his to prevent her from getting hurt and sat up straight.

He reached for her wrist, tears streaming down his face. He pressed his thumb in her pulse point and his heart skipped a beat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You should go home now, Gin. ", Harry held her close, tears staining both of their cheeks.

" I don't want to " she sniffed.

"Neither do I. But you need rest, Gin. I'll come back after dropping you off.", he tried to sound as calm as could but his insides were churning.

" Okay ", she nodded.

With one last glance at the farmhouse behind them, they disapparated.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was barely there, but it was. Draco felt relief wash over him like cold water on a sunny day.

He took his shirt off, and placed it on the road. He placed a cushioning charm on it before gently lowering Hermione on to it. He examined her face. One side was scraped and bloody, probably because of the rocky floor and the other was a lot better. It was burnt, Draco noticed, but not too badly.

He carefully lifted her up a little and undid the straps of her dress. A sob helplessly tore through his lips when he recalled their last encounter.

He carefully gathered what was left of the garment, and slid it down her shoulders. Now she was only in her undergarments and Draco could see just how much pain she must've endured. There were burns all over her front, marking her otherwise pale skin. He checked her pulse again, and his heart picked up pace when he realised it was less than before. He began to panic and an idea occurred to him. He lowered his head, and carefully placed his mouth on top of hers. He gave her his breath until he himself ran out of it and pulled away with a gasp.

He then wrapped his hand around his other hand which was clenched into a fist, and began to press down on her chest.

Her eyelids fluttered, and his heart.

"H-hermione", he choked out.

She opened her eyes and frowned, turning she found Draco staring at her. Relief washed over her when she realised she was alive.

" I'm a-alive" she whispered.

" Hermione!" Harry yelled and came running towards them.

Draco immediately felt possessive and placed the ruins of her dress on top of her body to cover her.

" Hermione! You're okay! You're alive! You did it, Malfoy!", Harry was beaming.

Hermione coughed. " I need w-water."

Draco conjured up a glass of water and helped her sit up. Harry watched in amusement as Malfoy lowered the glass to her lips and held it while she drank from it.

" Should I come with you ?" Harry asked hesitantly.

Hermione shook her head. "I don't want to talk about it right now. Just take me home. I feel like my my whole body was on fire."

" That's because it was ", Draco told her.

She just looked at him, unblinking.

Comment, please! ❤