C h a p t e r 22

"How did you do it?" He asked quietly.

" Do what ?"

" Your patronus " he said.

By thinking about you.

" It was just an idea. I wasn't sure it would work." She bit her lip, drawing his attention.

"A wandless patronus is almost impossible to conjure for an ordinary witch or wizard"

Hermione bit her lip harder, not knowing whether he was complimenting her or not.

"What's your patronus?" She desperately wanted to change the subject.

"Ragdoll cat. " He replied after a moment of hesitation.

"Though I was only able to produce it once" he chuckled without any humour.

She wondered what could make him so happy.

Astoria.

She cleared her throat. " Right"

"Why didn't you send the patronus to Potter?" He asked.

Her breathing laboured. She was dreading this question. How could she answer a question without knowing the answer?

" I-i figured you'd be awake. Didn't want to disturb Harry. "

He raised an eyebrow at her.
"His wife was with me, and she was going to stay with me until you returned." He pointed out.

Hermione licked her dry lips.
"I don't know" she admitted in a whisper.

Thankfully, he didn't press.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Who's handling the Ministry, Harry?" Hermione asked him.

"Mr. Lee suggested I do it, so for the time being I am. And Auror Charles is leading the Aurors. " He pinched the bridge of his nose.

Hermione but her lip guiltily. " I'm s-"

"Don't you fucking apologise, Granger" Draco snapped, effectively shutting her up.

" Don't be daft, Hermione. You're staying at home until we find who this Lankort guy was. But first, I need to know what he looks like. "

"Brown eyes. Brown hair- looked like a nest really. Pointed nose. Baggy clothes. Cheap watch" Draco began to describe the man.

Hermione quirked up an eyebrow.
" Looks like you were watching him more closely than I ever did."

Draco narrowed his eyes at her. " Yes, you didn't watch him closely at all " his words were simple, but his tone was accusing.

" Okay okay! Hermione, perhaps I can see your memories? " Harry interfered.

" No " Draco snapped.

"Excuse me?" Hermione narrowed her eyes.

" You haven't fucking gotten over it yet, Granger. I doubt seeing him again would do you any good. " He retorted.

" I can handle myself well, Malfoy. I'm not as fragile as you think I am." She bit back.

" What is wrong with you both? Hermione, I think he's right. I'll just see his memories since he has watched him more closely. You need rest, and we know you aren't fragile. You're the most brave woman we know."

" Talk about yourself, Potter " Draco sneered.

Harry rolled his eyes. " Have fun with him, Mione. " He said before disapparating with a crack.