C h a p t e r 25

Her back hit the wall and she slid down it, shaking her head all the while. Her feet ached, her stomach churned and her eyes stung. She tried to fight back tears, but one after the other escaped. They gushed forth like water from behind a dam and spilled down her cheeks and neck.

She never thought things would take such a drastic turn. Never thought that he'd leave her just like that. Didn't she mean anything to him? Didn't he promise her a happily ever after?

She let her head drop onto her knees and hugged them closer to her chest. Her heart ached. Ached so much that she felt it thudding outside it's cage. He had looked so normal. So so normal.  How?  Did she actual mean that little to him? How could he have kissed her?

She squeezed her eyes shut as she fought hard to get the image of him kissing her, out of her mind. She let out a wailing sob. "Draco! " she yelled into her hand as she bit into it, drawing blood.

This wasn't working out. She had to find someone who'd help her. This tosser was of no help. At least not any longer. With a new sense of determination and a glimmer of hope, she stood back up, wobbling on her wounded feet, and made her way towards the shop at the corner.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

" Feeling better now?" Draco asked his mother as he settled into the chair beside her bed.

"A lot better. " She smiled up at him.

Draco smiled back and just grabbed her hand, holding it tight.

" How have you been?" She asked as she studied him closely.

" Good" he tried to sound casual, but she was his mother and didn't miss the glimmer of genuine happiness in his eyes.

" Where's Ms. Granger? " She asked knowingly.

Draco's head snapped up at her name. " Oh...she's with Potter. Discussing something."

" Is that why there's an Auror outside our door?" She asked with distaste.

Draco sighed. " Yes"

" Are you happy?" She asked him.

He looked at her and scoffed.

" Don't, Draco. I can see it and you know it" she told him

He sighed and ran a hand through his blonde locks.
" Honestly? Yes" he admitted with a smile.

Narcissa smiled back at him. " Ms. Granger is a very intelligent and beautiful young woman. "She agreed.

Draco's eyebrows rose.
" Ms. Granger? "

" Isn't she the reason behind your happiness?" She asked with a tiny smirk.

Draco's eyes widened. " It's scary."

" What is?"

"You know me too well. "

Narcissa laughed.
" I just wish this hadn't happened. All these attacks" she admitted with a sigh.

" True. But I'm going to find out who's behind it."

"Do you think it's related? The attack on Ms. Granger and-"

"Definitely. It's someone who's trying to get to me. "

" Does anybody know about you and her?" Narcissa asked with a frown.

Draco looked at her, unblinking.
" No. Even we didn't know about us until 2 days ago."

"Then whoever it is, is closer to you than you think."