✱ chapter one

12th grade - high schoolmiyoung pov

miyoung pov

"Miyoung!" I turned my head around to see my best friend Nayoung running up to me with open arms. She tackled me in a hug as I laughed and hugged her back. "Nayoung!"

"Can you believe we're already seniors? It feels like just yesterday we were tiny freshmen walking in here!" Nayoung exclaimed, wrapping her arm around my shoulder as we walked to our lockers.

I nodded, "I know right, I can't get wait to get out of here."

And get away from one person in particular.

"Next stop. . . college!" She said happily as we reached our lockers. I beamed at her and opened my locker to get my books out.

"What class do you have first?" Nayoung asked, peering over my shoulder to get a better look at my schedule.

"Uh. . . Anatomy. What about you?" I asked, grabbing my Anatomy textbook and closing the locker. She squeals and hugs me, which I get that she's also in Anatomy.

We began to walk to the Anatomy room, talking about our summer vacation and what we had done. We entered the classroom, and as soon as we stepped in, we froze in our tracks.

My face began to heat up as my eyes widened. I looked over at Nayoung who was smiling smugly at me.

"Kim Taehyung is in our homeroom!" She lowly whispered, nudging my side and winking at me. I rolled my eyes and shook my head and averted my gaze.

Kim Taehyung. I've had a crush on that ethereal guy for who knows how long. He is actaully perfect. You could tell that God spent a lot more work making this man.

I mentally squealed as I sat closer to the front, Nayoung setting her books beside me whilst still lowkey teasing me about Taehyung

I mentally squealed as I sat closer to the front, Nayoung setting her books beside me whilst still lowkey teasing me about Taehyung. "Shut up, would you?" I hissed at her.

It wasn't that I've never talked to Taehyung. As a matter of fact, us two were pretty good friends. We've been paired up multiple times for projects and got along well. But every single damn time I'm near him, he makes me want to throw myself off a cliff. In a good way.

Wait, is there even a good reason to throw yourself off a cliff?

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Nayoung mutter, "Oh no." beside me. I snapped my head towards her, "What's—"

Just as I was asking her if she was alright, the devil incarnate himself strolled in through the door. My hands immediately clenched into fists as if it were an instinct. I bit my lip and glared at the boy who smugly smiled at Taehyung and glided over to him.

"Jeon Jungkook." We both muttered under our breaths, watching him do a handshake with Taehyung.

Remember when I said Taehyung was perfect? He IS perfect, except for the fact that he's best friends with my biggest rival, Jeon Jungkook.

Stupid Jungkook. Out of all the homerooms, why did he have to come to this one?

Stupid administration. Why did they have to put him in MY homeroom out of all the homerooms?

Stupid Taehyung. Why did you have to be best friends with the devil?

Did I already say stupid Jungkook?

Jungkook has been my rival for as long as I can remember. He always beat me in everything. Studies, sports, even taking the last ice cream bar at the ice cream place. He seemed to beat me in every single thing I did, and the worst part was that he would never let me live it down.

I used to be first. That was until he decided it would be a good idea to knock me off my high chair.

I've been second place ever since.

I shudder thinking about that. Second place, that's the worst thing.

"Well, well. Miss Second Place is in my homeroom!" I shut my eyes and inhaled a deep breath.

Stupid Jungkook.

"Jungkook." I growl, opening my eyes to see him standing in front of me with his hands in his pockets and a smug smile on his face.

Oh how I wish I could wipe that stupid smile off his face.

Stupid.

"Don't call me that." I say angrily, glaring at him.

"Call you what? Miss Second Place?"

I stand up from my chair and get ready to knock him out when Nayoung grabs my arm and pulls me down.

"Miyoung." She warns. She looks up at Jungkook. "Could you, like, not bother us today? It's our first day of senior year, let us enjoy it damn it!" She exasperates, tightening her grip on my arm.

Jungkook scoffs. "So I can bother you tomorrow?" He turns to me and fakes a smile. "Bother Miss Second Place on the second day of school?"

I release Nayoung's grip and lunge towards Jungkook.

I grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him close to me. "I see what you did there. You used the number 2 twice, right? Ha ha. Very clever. No wonder you're in first. I swear Jungkook this year you will be knocked off that stupid high horse of yours."

Jungkook chuckles, his breath fanning my face ever so lightly. "You sure about that? You've been saying that for the past eight years and I still see no sign of you getting anywhere near that first place."

I push him back and watch him stumble backwards onto the desks. "You'll see."

I sit back down and groan, covering my face into my hands as Nayoung pats my back. "There, there."

Stupid Jungkook.

chapter one
ksjshw