✱ chapter eighteen

miyoung pov

miyoung pov

"What are you to Jungkook?" I heard a high-pitched voice ask behind me.

I dreaded to look behind me for I already knew who it was.

The bitch herself.

I hadn't talked Jaeun ever since she almost cracked my head open at her house a week ago.

I had seen her around the halls. Every time we made eye contact, she would just stand there and glare at me until I was completely out of her sight.

Pathetic.

I figured she was mad at me for being part of kicking her out of the group.

Apparently not.

I slowly turned around to face Jaeun with a fake grin plastered on my face. "What?"

She scoffed slightly, her arms crossed over her chest. Her feet tapped slightly on the ground. "What are you to Jungkook?"

I blinked. "A rival. What are you to Jungkook?"

"You guys are anything but rivals. Tell me, how did someone like you manage to get someone like him? He's way out of your league and definitely doesn't need a girl like you." Jaeun spits at me with fire in her eyes.

I blinked again. Was this girl serious right now?

"If anything, I'm out of his league." I joke while picking at my nails unamused.

"Stay away from Jungkook, Miyoung." Jaeun threatened, leaning close to my face with a hard expression on her face.

I scoffed. "Trust me, I've tried."

People started to crowd around us, whispers being heard amongst us.

Great. Now Jaeun attracted a crowd.

"What does he even see in you?" Jaeun growled angrily. "You're not pretty. You're plain stupid and you're a good-for-nothing. You can never beat him in anything, why do you still try anyway when you know you can't win? You just like the attention he gives you, right? That's why you won't leave him alone and follow him like a lost puppy. It's pathetic, really."

I gasped slightly. A sarcastic chuckle left my lips as I eyed Jaeun up and down. "You're one to talk. Tell me, how many times has he rejected you?"

Jaeun's fists clenched by her sides as the crowd oohed around us. More people started coming to see what was going on.

Might as well give them a show.

"I don't know how many times I've got to tell all of you people." I tell her, my eyes dancing to people in the crowd as well. "Jungkook and I have nothing going on romantically. We just have a rivalry going on, and it's nothing to take as I'm following him around because I want his attention. I like challenges, and he just so happens to like them as well."

Jaeun scoffed. "That's bullshit." Her shoulders slump in the slightest and she avoids eye contact with me. "Do you see the way he looks at you or are you too oblivious to see?"

That got me to shut up. What did she mean by the way he looked at me?

I probably had something on my face.

"What do you have that I don't?!" She roars, lifting her hand to get ready to hit me.

I start to block myself and squint my eyes shut. But I felt nothing. I open my eyes to see someone's back facing me and holding Jaeun's arm.

Speak of the Devil.

I step out from behind him and give him a small smile while mouthing a thanks.

"You want to know what Miyoung has that you don't?" Jungkook started. "She works hard at everything she does. She's amazing. Even when she knows she can't win, she won't stop trying. She never gives up. She's smart, funny, and so much more."

Jungkook looks at me with a small smile. "She's wonderful."

My eyes widened as I felt my heart come to a complete stop. Woah, what?

He looks back at Jaeun and releases her arm roughly, sending her stumbling back ever so slightly. "She's nothing like you, thank God. Stay away from Miyoung or I swear Jaeun I will stop you completely."

Jaeun whimpered, her hands reaching out Jungkook. "Jungkook. . . please, I didn't—"

He ignores her and comes up to me and grabs my arm. "Let's go."

We push through the crowd. People were whispering all around us.

"Are you sure they're not dating?"

"I don't know anymore."

I gulped and kept my eyes on the ground, letting Jungkook drag me out to the field.

He lets go of my arm and looks at me with a concerned look. "You good?"

Looking up at him, I give him a small grin. "Yeah."

We were silent for a while, just standing there and enjoying each other's presence.

Well, at least I was.

The things he said back there. . . Were they true? Even if they weren't, I would've never expected him to stand up for me like that.

Actually, I would've thought he would be by Jaeun, repeating every word she is.

I was really happy and grateful.

I looked at him and wrapped my arms around his waist, leaning my head on his chest.

He tensed up in my grasp. "W-What are you doing?"

"Hugging you." I say as a matter-of-factly. "Thank you Jungkook for standing up for me in there. I don't know if you meant it or not, but it still means a lot."

I let go of him and beamed at him. "Thank you."

Jungkook looked down at me with a small blush on his cheeks. He let out a shy smile. "Uh, you're welcome, I guess."

I ruffled his hair and giggled at his widened eyes and red cheeks. "You're blushing!"

"Me? Blushing? Never." He denied, his cheeks still burning red.

I laughed. "Sure."

Little did I know that that day would be a turning point in our relationship.

chapter eighteen
ksjshw