✱ chapter forty

miyoung pov

miyoung pov

"I love you, Park Miyoung."

Everything around me seems to stop, and all I could focus on was Jungkook. His vulnerable eyes, his pursed lips, just everything about him.

Alarms started ringing in my head, making it the only thing I could hear as I stared back at Jungkook.

Abort! Abort now!

Everything within me started shooting fireworks. The alarms ringing in my ears started getting louder and louder.

All I could now feel was embarrassment and a weird clash of anger and happiness. I wasn't sure what to decipher out of all these emotions bubbling up out of the blew, but I knew one thing was for sure.

I had to get out of there.

I pried myself off of Jungkook, bracing myself for what I was going to say. "Jungkook.."

"Please Miyoung, please just give me a chance to show you how much you mean to me. Let me finally let out all of my feelings that I've kept bottled up inside of me all these years." He says in a low voice, a hint of hopefulness in his eyes.

I felt like I was bombarded with all this news, and I had no clue how to process it. Did he expect me to give him an answer right then and there?

"I know this might be a lot to take in," He says, a forced chuckle coming out of his lips. "But I couldn't hide it anymore. I needed you to know what I've felt about you this whole time."

When I don't respond, he continues. "Honestly, I can't believe you didn't figure it out sooner. I tried to hint it as much as I could but you never got it. I mean, what was I expecting? You're pretty dense. I'm surprised I kept it in as long as I did."

He pauses and takes a breath. "I've liked you since our first competition. Your focused face was the cutest thing I had ever seen, and I knew right there that I wanted to see that face as long as I could. Also, the feeling of winning was pretty good as well." He lets out another forced chuckle, a hint of blush on his cheeks as he shyly looks at me under his eyelashes.

My heart pounds more aggressively against my rib cage, still processing all this new information through my brain. I found myself not knowing what to say, feeling stuck and frozen and unable to do anything.

Embarrassment wells up in my chest. "I can't do this." I shake my head vigorously and start walking backwards, immediately wanting to run away from this situation. "I—I'm sorry, Jungkook."

"Miyoung..." Jungkook trails off, reaching his hands out to grab me. I take a step back and he retreats his arms back down to his side, a hurt expression flashing across his face. "Please..."

Get out of there. Get out. Now!

I turn around and run away as fast as I could, refusing to look back. My heart was pounding the entire time.