Chapter Thirteen

Thea

Zev was in another meeting with the Queen.

He had met with her often this week for hours at a time and he wouldn't tell me why, no matter how much pleading I did. I've tried telling him I'm bored sitting here all day, but he just goes on and on about 'Keeping me safe, not entertained'.

So when I felt him sneak out of bed this morning, I pretended to be asleep.Thr second the lock clicked I shot out of bed.

I was going exploring today.

I throw on the first thing I find, a white day dress with flowers sewn into the skirt. The top hugs my torso and arms tightly before billowing out at my waist and falling to my knees.

It wasn't exactly a covert outfit but I feel pretty so why not.

~~~~~

I walk bare foot down the hallway feeling the cool stone beneath my feet. I haven't seen anyone walk by in some time and I'm not sure how to get back to my room so I keep wandering.

A small, abandoned staircase creeps into view.  Covered in leaf and ivy growth it clearly hasn't been used in a while. Curiosity gets the best of me, so making sure no one watching, I creep down the winding staircase.

The air is damp down here and there's definitely a draft. At the end of the staircase sits a small stone doorway with no actual door. I run my fingers across the rough uneven stone as I walk under the ancient archway.

The sun suddenly hits my face and I'm outside.

Tall stone walls reach to the sky that lay connected by bridges that I'd come to see everywhere here. I'm in what looks like some kind of alley, moss and flowers grow wildly up and down the walls and water trickles down the stone covering the floor in about a foot of water.

"You know they don't use this entrance anymore."

I jump a mile in the air screaming as I spin around.

Rhett stands behind me with his arms raised innocently in the air.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you."

Why was he here?

Taking a step back, so my feet are in the water I move away from Rhett.

Zev would never let me out of the room again if he found out I was alone with a man neither of knew that well. 

"W-why a-are you following me."

I know he can hear the apprehension in my voice. I don't feel scared of him necessarily but still...

"I saw you come down here, I just wanted to meet you properly. I confess you're interesting. " He smiles brightly down at me.

I wonder if he feels the strange connection that I do. He comes to stand next to me, wetting the bottom of his pants in the water.

"So Thea, It's Thea right?" He raises an eyebrow.

"T-Thats my name and I know you're Rhett." I pause, "I want to t-thank you for speaking up in the forest after that man attacked me."