Chapter Twenty-One

️Mature content⚠️

Zev

Thea hasn't been the same since she found out about her past. A sadness lingers in her I feel it as if it's my own.

She barely sleeps and when she does it's fitful, wrought with nightmares. I've tried talking to her about it but she closes herself off the only positive is she's ecstatic to have a brother.

We started back towards the Night Isles a few days ago with very few answers and plenty of questions. All the bodies we found were like Helix, which means whoever's behind this is getting closer to achieving their goal. He must have been the first person to survive the experiments even if it was in a rotting form.

"How is Rhett still alive? If I was born so long ago how am I still alive."

Thea looks up at me while holding onto my fingers.

"Rhett indicated he was immortal when we were escaping the Nightshade jails. He must know something if he is who you say."

She looks at me sharply, "He is. I don't know how to describe it but I just know it's true. When I touched that crown it was like I was seeing all their lives at once, my mother's, father's, Rhett's. I-I think my mother found a way to tell me, she knew I would need help."

I kiss her forehead breathing in her unearthly scent, "Maybe little one."

We stop in a small town and lodge in a dated room above a tavern. The room is run down but the fires warm and the bed is small enough to force Thea to lay on top of me, so I have no complaints.

"Zev, when did you get this tattoo?"

Her leith fingers trace the pattern that covers my right side leaving a pleasant feeling in their wake.

"That? I woke up with it after the experiment, I guess it's a side effect or something."

"Hmm..."

"What?" A grin lights her face as she laughs.

"I don't know, that's just a funny side effect, a cool tattoo! Most people get like a rash or diarrhea. Maybe I just have a case of the giggles."

"Diarrhea? The giggles? That's a lot at once." I slowly creep my hand underneath her shirt.

"Shut up," She smacks my chest giggling "What are you doing."

Her cute laughter sounds heavenly, she should always be this happy.

"Testing out this giggles theory."

Then I attack her, tickling her rib cage with both hands. She howls with laughter and trys to escape me but there's no where to go.

"P-please!" She begs between gasps of air.

"I don't know" I continue tickling her, "maybe for a kiss."

"Anything!" She laughs with a beautiful smile.

"That's my girl." I whisper in her ear finally stopping the torture and allowing her to catch her breath.

Her eyes are bright when she leans forward and presses her lips to mine. I can't stop myself from deeping the kiss, but she keeps giggling as I try to gain access to her mouth.

"Thea" I growl against her mouth.

"I can't stop!" She laughs more.

"Let's see if I can help."

I slide my hands lower until their almost cupping her bottom. Her breathing hitches when I fill my hands with her round ass. I trail wet kisses down her smooth throat until I reach my mark and begin sucking on the skin.