Chapter Twenty-Four

Thea

We head to one of Zev's homes, apparently when you live a long a time you acquire more than one.

"No one knows where this is we should be safe until we can decide what to do next."

"I-Is he going to be okay?"

I'm scared for the answer I can tell by his chalky skin he's lost a lot of blood already.

"He's breathing that will have to be good enough for now little one."

I nod at him absentmindedly taking in the blood that's now dripping down Zev's back.

"How much further?"

We'd been going for over an hour at this point and Rhett just keeps bleeding and bleeding.

"Not to far now, it's underground so we'll be well hidden."

~~~~

We travel for almost another hour before coming to a stop in a barren forest. The woods here are thick, close compacted trees that Zev struggles to get through, especially with Rhett over his shoulder. None of the trees or plants hold life, everything is brown, riddled and dead. In between two of the trees is a small opening.

"Push that dirt aside there should be a tunnel there."

I get on my knees and quickly dig my hands into the earth until a small hole appears.

"You crawl through first then I'll follow and drag Rhett. We can only fit one at a time it's going to be tight just keep crawling."

I'm much smaller then Zev so I crawl through with relative ease. The earth encroaches around me, twigs pulling at my hair and scratching my face. I'm not claustrophobic but this tight dark space makes my body coil with unease. I hear Zev crawling behind me as he slowly pushes himself down the the cave.

"This is horrible."

He let's out a laugh, "I haven't used it in a long time I'm just happy it's still standing."

There's a break in the darkness about twenty five feet ahead of me I push as fast as I can, scraping my elbows and knees against the rough earth, anything to escape this unending hole. I push through the last of the foliage and drop down onto a smooth, but dirty floor. Zev fellows shortly behind me dirty and dragging Rhett through with him.

The room is actually more of a cottage. Smooth wooden floors, minimal but dirty furniture litters the space and two doorways lead off into rooms I can't make out. Zev scrambles to his feet and puts Rhett on the large couch as dust fills the room.

I sit down by his head immediately,
"We need rags, water and whatever medical supply you have here."

He nods, "I might not have much give me a second."

I brush Rhett's hair back from his face he's still covered in blood but he looks a little better then I initially thought. Zev returns with a basin of water, some rags and few bandages. I start soaking the rags and wiping him clean, I don't even know how to handle the broken limbs.

"I-I I don't know what to do."

My hands shake as I clean him off enough to see his face.

"We need to set the broken bones he should heal than."

"Y-You mean snap them back? No, no he needs a doctor Zev a real doctor. If we do something wrong we could kill him."

"He doesn't have that option right now Thea, which you know."