Preface.

EDIT: TRAILER AT THE SIDE!

Louis is twenty two years old and single, but he's not lonely, honestly. He isn't. He doesn't mind the single life; it allows him a lot more free time than most and he's definitely the least stressed in the entire band. He likes being able to get drunk off his ass at That Club Down The Street and not have to worry about someone else, likes being able to roll around aimlessly on his bed during the night and wake up in a cocoon of blankets - in fact, he especially likes being able to do whatever with whomever. 

He's obviously lying, of course, but no one has to know about that. And if he has a stupid crush on his best friend like a twelve year old, well. No one has to know that either.

Harry is twenty years old and single, but he's the complete opposite. Harry has always been one to rely heavily on others, and it's no surprise he thinks he needs someone's love and attention and, well, suddenly Louis isn't enough for him anymore. Best Friend of the Year award revoked, Louis thinks.

Did he mention Harry is as straight as a ruler?

He really doesn't know what went wrong, but he does know that Harry's absolutely lost his mind when he just happens to pay a generous glance to his laptop screen as he's strolling past (nonchalantly, of course. Purely coincidental. Louis is not a stalker, he'll have you know.) and sees Harry browsing through an online dating website.

"What're you doin', Haz?" Louis asks, even though he knows. He knows, of course he knows. He just really hopes Harry will smile and tell him he's making the profile for Niall, or something. He really does. Even crosses his fingers a bit.

"Makin' an online dating profile," Harry says, biting down on his lip in that stupidly adorable way that he does, Louis thinks with bitterness as their eyes meet. "What do you think I should list as my hobbies? Being an international popstar isn't one of the pre-selected options."

Louis barks out  a dry laugh at that, hopes it sounds convincing, and settles down on the edge of the cushion next to Harry. He's sort of taking up the entire sofa, but Louis can make it work. Harry's like a giant, honestly. "Well, you're not using your real name, are you?"

"Reckon no one would believe me if I did anyway. No, I'm not."

"What did you list yourself as, then?"

"Harvey Staff. Twenty years old, living in London, heterosexual, and unfortunately single," Harry says, wiggling his eyebrows like a dork. God, Louis hates that he loves him.

"Harvey Staff? Who the bloody hell names their child Harvey Staff?"

"Oh, c'mon Lou. Lighten up. It's not like I'm going to have much time for this website anyway. You know what? Since you're not going to help me, I'm just going to choose golfing as my hobby. A nice, modest golfer named Harvey. See, I already submitted the information. Now I'm all signed up and everything, did it all by myself, Lou," Harry exclaims, pointing at the new profile screen that pops up on his monitor. "Look, I've already got a message!"

"I see," Louis smiles, even though he really doesn't fucking see how this is better than being single. He decides not to ruin the happiness that's painted across Harry's face as he opens the message and replies to the stranger's simple greeting with an enthusiastic "Hi!!!!" surrounded by smiley faces. A part of Louis is convinced that Harry isn't real.

As it would turn out, Harry's usage of the website progressively increases over the next few days; on his mobile, on his laptop, even backstage as they prepare for shows. He's constantly IMing completely random girls through this goddamned dating website, and Louis isn't bitter about it, thank you very much. It only hurts because he seems to be enjoying himself way more than he ever has in the past three years of being alone. Which, admittedly, does make sense. Louis can't blame him for being happy, but it's hard to watch the person you possibly love try to set themselves up with someone else.

So, when Louis is scrolling through Twitter on his laptop one night and an ad for the very same website Harry uses pops up on the screen, well, it's too hard to resist. Before he knows it, he's made a profile of his own and is anxiously reviewing the information he's submitted.

Anna Grace Montgomery, nineteen years old; living in London, England. Single/heterosexual. Likes: green eyes, summer, undiscovered bands. Dislikes: lizards, tobacco, snow. Hobbies: sports, acting, singing. Status: Looking for an adventure. :)

And God, does Louis feel low as he searches Harry - Harvey, whatever - up and sends him an IM. It's not supposed to become a thing, and he makes himself incredibly aware of this. Louis immediately closes the laptop and shakes his head, full of instant regret, but he realizes he should at least clean up the mess he's begun to make before it escalates. Honestly, what the hell is he doing?

What had originally been an attempt to exit the conversation with Harry/Harvey quickly turns into an elaborate discussion about some band that Louis's never heard of, and soon it's two in the morning and it's been five hours. How the hell hasn't Harry figured out it's Louis? 

Even though Louis swears up, down, left, and right that he's never going to do that again, the next day he finds himself sending another conversation starter. And another. And another. And another.

The thing is, Harry hasn't got a clue that Anna is actually Louis, and Louis should probably feel pretty guilty for cat-fishing his best friend like this, but he doesn't.

Until Harry finds out.