IM Overwhelmed

so as I was writing the last chapter I thought of the BEST plot ever, like I already had one planned duh but then I thought of a different way to do it that's even better so sorry if this seems kind of abrupt and all but like yeah this is going to be a short story anyways I never intended for it to get super long, this is sort of the start of a build up to you-know-what 

sorrysorry if you hate sudden plot twists but if you've read my other stories you know that those are my specialties

"Harry!" Louis is so out of shape, honestly. He's jogging after Harry, who's walking very quickly away from him and damn his long legs, they make it too easy for him to take such long strides that have Louis panting to keep up. "Harold."

Harry spins around so suddenly that Louis nearly smacks right into him and has to quickly back away, causing him to stumble and fall. Harry looks down at him in concern until Louis scrambles back up. The concern fades to anger again and Louis feels like shit in every way imaginable, this past month has been absolutely chaotic and he's not sure what his life is anymore. He remembers they have a show tonight; not that that's helping.

"Louis," Harry begins, then he shakes his head like he doesn't know what he's even doing and Louis wants to cry because he just looks so mad and mad Harry is Louis' least favorite Harry. Being angry doesn't suit Harry, he's too sweet and giggly, Louis thinks. 

Harry sighs heavily and pinches his nose again. Louis worries momentarily that he's going to reach up and punch him across the face, but then Harry just crowds him against the wall. 

"If I wasn't confused before, I certainly am now," Harry informs the wall behind Louis conversationally and what?

"Huh?" Smooth, Louis thinks. Like butter, except he would rather be butter in this situation because if he was butter he could just melt into a puddle of nothing. It sounds pretty good, but Harry's lips are just so close and Louis can't breathe, he can only inhale the scent of Harry and see Harry and everything is just so Harry that he might die.

"I think I'm gonna pass out," he says instead. Harry looks down at him with a look that asks Louis silently if he's really okay, so Louis just looks back as shyly as he can as he waits for Harry's lecture.

Harry waits for a few seconds before he just sighs again, laughing humorlessly. "Why didn't you just tell me?"

Louis isn't really sure how to answer that - wait, yes he is. "You're straight. That's like - it's like trying to tell your lesbian best friend that you're in love with her. What's the point? You know she's not going to be attracted to you, and you know it's going to make things awkward so why bother, Harry, if it's already a lost cause?"

"Yeah, but, I'm not a lesbian."

Louis closes his eyes and shakes his head because Harry is such a dork. "Obviously, Haz. You have a dick last time I checked, so I'm not quite sure you meet the requirements of being a lesbian." and then; "It was just an example."

Harry can't be mad at Louis for long, it's pathetic, so he steps back just enough to wrap his arms around Louis' shoulders and pull him into his chest for a bone-crushing hug that Louis was definitely not expecting. He doesn't hesitate, though, instead wrapping his arms around Harry's torso and pressing his nose into Harry's chest. It feels safe. It feels like home.

"I'm sorry," Harry whispers into Louis' hair and now it's Louis' turn to pull away and shake his head. 

"No, no, Haz. Why are you sorry? This isn't your fault, it's mine-"

"I'm sorry I made you feel like you couldn't tell me. I'm sorry I never noticed. I'm sorry you had to go through all these years," Harry pauses, curling his hand up against Louis' face as he moves his thumb gently across Louis' cheekbone, "And, Lou. You can't help who you fall in love with."

At this point, Louis is one hundred percent miserable because he's gone and fucked everything up but Harry is still warm and welcoming. He doesn't deserve this, but he doesn't know if Harry screaming until his voice cracks and sobbing himself to sleep would be any better than hugs and quiet apologies in a hotel hallway. Not to mention Harry still has Louis cornered, his body acting as a barrier between Louis and the rest of the world.

"I know, but, like," Louis bites his tongue. "Shoulda told you. Zayn told me to, but, he's Zayn. He always thinks he's right."

"Zayn is usually pretty right," Harry argues. Louis fights a smile. 

"Unless, of course, he's standing on your left," he continues and Louis can't help it anymore; he laughs. He laughs and he doesn't even care that Harry laughs with him until he's suddenly moving closer to Louis and staring at him with smiley eyes and dimples.

"What 'cha doin', Haz?" Louis asks and Harry's smile falls off his face suddenly, and Louis isn't sure what the problem is until Harry cups Louis cheek again.

"Harry-" he tries again, but Harry's already moving and Louis is already freaking out because all of the sudden out of nowhere, Harry is kissing Louis.