[31]

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to Gangice, who was the first to mention the old title reference last chapter (young writer days LOL) and your comments crack me up! :')

They are finally headed to Everglades! Make sure to comment lovies and vote if you enjoy it <3 to ALL my fans, thank you for the support! Its because of your comments/votes/activity that I stay motivated to write. You guys are the best!  

Wolf Chase [31]

"Did you read the book?"

"Yes." Massie replied, seamlessly slipping into a lie.

Two weeks ago, not many hours after her disastrous kissing fiasco, Sebastian ever so kindly went up to her and shoved a small book into her chest. It was black, with strong golden ridges and a title she couldn't quite remember, but she knew by his quiet explanation that it had something to do with packs, alphas, and something else.

She hadn't managed to even read one page of it.

At first, it was because she'd been kind of salty (okay, very salty) about the fact that he totally hated their kiss, so that was her passive-aggressive way of getting back at him. After that, the truth was she forgot all about it. In her excitement of going to Everglades and making sure all her homework was done ahead of time, it completely slipped her mind. As a matter of fact, now that she thought about it, she had no idea where it was. Even the previous one she'd gotten from the library mysteriously disappeared, she would also be lying if she said she actually took the time to look for it.

It was a shame, really, because now they were on a three plus hour plane ride to California and she probably could knock out a good portion of it in the air. Oh well, the information in it shouldn't be too pertinent. She learned so much already just by being around them and taking note of their gestures and how they do things. What could possibly go wrong?

The only obstacle that presented itself for this trip manifested yesterday, late in the night as she was helping them pack (wereman truly sucked at folding). Keisha was the cause of the altercation: she complained about not being given the option to go, and despite her never previously consenting to an assignment before, she argued to take Massie place. Massie was more-so curious as to why she never agreed to an assignment before rather than the fact that she sought to sabotage her sort-of-but-not-really vacation.

Noah later privately told her Keisha never ventured out of Dark Falls for fear of encountering Corcorus wolves due to her past—even if there were no threat of them in some areas. It appeared Massie going sparked a rivalry in her and she was willing to override her emotions. The whole argument was squashed when Papa Saurus kindly reminded her she was still grounded, and Massie knew it was because of the time she tried to snipe her.

Now that's just beautiful. Who would have thought Keisha trying to harm her would end up being so useful? Now she got to enjoy first-class seating next to her man, who unsurprisingly forced her to take the window seat while he took the aisle one to better stretch his legs. She had a vague feeling they paid for these spacious seats because they wouldn't comfortably fit in the economy one.

It seemed Sebastian bought her lie, for there wasn't any suspicious in his eyes. "Good," he acknowledged, evidently relieved she supposedly read the thing.

Massie winced at the relief that laced his voice. Yikes, maybe she should have read the thing. She wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on that mistake though. It was too late now. Besides, how dare he ask her right when they're already on the plane and heading there.

Sebastian brought out a black, velvety box from his pocket. He paused, as though to collect himself, and then met her eyes with a steady gaze. "I told you before that in order to come we would be doing things my way. For your protection I need to ensure no Everglades werewolf is rash enough to forcibly mate you, so to do this we will enter as an engaged couple who has not yet mated."