2.Virgil

"Ok, that's it. You're never leaving this house again!" I yelled as we finally got back home. Patton just remained quiet as he closed the door and went to check on the cookies he forgot to take out. Thankfully I did, BEFORE COMING TO SAVE HIS ASS! "And what was with that hand thing? They could have done a lot worse than that black eye you got."

"Virgil, I can't stay locked up here forever. Someone has to work." He walked over and led me to the couch, trying very hard to be supportive and understanding. I thought that was my job.

"Keeping you safe is my job, Pat." He just smiled as he pulled me into a hug. "You had me worried. I thought they... I thought you... I lost it."

"I know, and I'm sorry. But protecting me hasn't been your job for a long while, Virgil. I am more than capable of taking a hit." I pulled myself out of his hug and walked away. This morning has been nothing but hell on my nerves. One minute, I'm pulling his cookies out of the oven and making myself some coffee and the next I'm watching a bank heist on the tv. The same bank where Patton had said he had to go to. I broke my favorite mug. Speaking of which.

I walked into the kitchen and sighed. I was so lost in what was going on, I never picked up the mess. I knelt down and began picking up as many pieces as I could get by hand. I managed to get most of the big ones before I cut my finger. 

Patton instantly ran in holding band-aids and peroxide. He's got such a kind heart and a sweet smile. Don't let that fool you though. I tought him how to be strong, smart, and brave. He's right he can take care of himself. That doesn't mean I'm going to just stop worrying. A father doesn't just stop worrying for his son. No matter how old they get.

"Kiddo, maybe it's time you get out more... Get an actual job." I looked up at Patton with shock and disbelief.

"You're kicking me out?" I yelled like a snappy teenager, making him laugh. He glanced over at the pictures on the walls and sighed.

"I just think that maybe it's time for you to get your self out there. You haven't even been out on a date since..."

"Stop... Just please stop..." I stared at my hands as Patton finished picking up the rest of the mug mess. I know he didn't mean anything by it. He's just worried about me. It wasn't easy putting myself out there that time either. Dee made his choice. I'm not going to go through that again. I can't go through that again. "Pat, I know you're worried for me but I promise you I'm ok."

"You haven't left the basement for 3 days. Other than to get coffee... You haven't eaten anything in 7 and I know it's starting to get to you. It wouldn't have taken you so long to get rid of those men had you been fed." He had this angry dad look on his face. It made me a bit uncomfortable.

"Supplies are low... low...er... Ok, the fridge is empty, and I haven't been able to stock up." I stole a cookie and rushed out of the kitchen before he could yell. He looked like he was so confused.

"YOUR OUT?!" He rushed out of the kitchen, grabbing my arm and making me look at him. "why didn't you tell me? I could've asked..."

"I DON'T WANT HIS HELP!" Patton's face deflated and felt bad for yelling. "I figured I would find a way to get some on my own."

"Virgil, he has access to it because he works there. He got the job specifically to help..."

"Himself, when he decided to leave. I will get some on my own." Patton just threw his hands in the air in defeat. I watched as he left, taking the cookies with him to the patio. All my anger just melted into exhaustion. He's right though. I need access to it, and the only way is to follow Dee's example and get a job. I am NOT going to work at a hospital though. They give me so much anxiety. I have been in my fair share and it never ended well for me.

Then there's the medical examiner... I could do that but I really don't want to deal with my papers. Plus the ME is by the police and if I work there I will have to deal with the fear of getting caught and shit. It's just to much work. I am at a loss for what to do... Maybe Patton was right to want to call him. 

I just don't think I can... The phone started ringing startling me out of my thoughts.

"Hello is this, Virgil Mathews."

"Yes..."

"GREAT! It's Deceit... You're his emergency contact and...."

"I'll be right there!"