9.Roman

"Hey, has anyone seen... Jesus, what the hell is that?" I don't know what the hell I was looking at. Anna looked like this mad doctor dissecting the worlds ugliest...

"It's still the heart, Roman." Oh... nevermind then. I walked over to find her pulling out this long wooden thing. "Why would someone put this in a human heart?"

"What is it?" She shook herself from her thoughts and place it into a dish for examination. 

"Its a nail... A long wooden nail." I glance back at her. As she began rambling about all the possible meanings. I get why she and Logan get along so well. Dispite here peppy demeanor she is just as boring. "It could also symbolize a stake. Dehumanizing the person the heart belonged to."

"Why would a wooden nail make a person less human." She looked at me like I was some sort of idiot. "What? What aren't I getting."

"Seriously, do you not know what a stake is?"

"Yeah, it's a delish thing of meat and now I'm hungry." She facepalmed and I laughed as a red mark began to form on her forehead.

"Not steak... stake. It's a tool that people used to pierce the hearts of people suspected of being vampires. Why this would be sent here, I have no idea." I watched as she took the mini stake into another room along with everything else from the box... including the box. Why would someone send Virgil a heart with a stake in it? Where is Virgil?!

I checked the desk. I checked with Logan. I checked the bathroom. I even checked the ladies room... yeah, and still nothing. He was nowhere, and no one's seen him. I started getting very worried. In the mental state, he looked to have been in, wondering off would not have been good. I pulled the sheet of paper Patton gave me out of my pocket and stared at the numbers written down.

"Patton Mathews..." I didn't know if that was a message or how he actually answered his phone. "Hello?" Ok, so it was just how he answered his phone.

"Uh yeah sorry, It's Roman... Hey,  have you seen Virgil at all?" The line went deathly silent and I froze. "He was sort of having a panic attack and now I can't find him."

"I thought you said you would watch him?" He didn't yell but I could hear the rage in his voice. It's the type of quiet anger fathers have that scares the shit out of their kids. 

"I was but... I got distracted."

"By what?"

"I DON'T KNOW HOW ABOUT THE GIANT HOLE IN MY WALL!" Every in the room started staring at me as I yelled. I hadn't meant to. I'm just worried. I don't want to lose someone else. "Sorry... I didn't mean to yell."

"You said he was having a panic attack?" The noise in the background started up again and I swear I could hear the sound of a blender. Is he baking?

"Yeah, it was not a good day to begin working."

"Why?"

"Some sick freak... decided to deliver a box with a human heart... to Virgil's desk." Once again all the noise vanished from the line and out of nowhere, I heard the sound of glass breaking. Now I see where Virgil gets it from. Why is breaking something always their response?

"Roman..." His voice picked up through the phone again after a while. It was quiet and stressed. "I need you to listen to me very carefully ok?"

"Whatever you need?"

"The heart... Do you still have it?" 

"No..." I could hear the defeat in his voice and it broke me. "But I know who does."

"I need it." I just about dropped the phone. "I know it's an odd request. I promise I will explain when I can but please Roman. I need you to get me the heart." He hung up and I was left there in utter shock and confusion. He needs the heart. Why does he need the heart? How am I supposed to get him the heart? God, I know I said anything but this is testing it, don't you think...

Regardless, I found myself standing in front of Anna as she began to clean up. I am so going to get fired.

"Hey, Anna?" She glanced back at me as she was wiping the table down. "So you aren't going to believe this but..." I pause as she stopped to hear me out. I was practicly shaking. "Uh... well, I actually need that... heart... back."

"Very funny Roman." She chuckled and went back to cleaning. I just stood there, this look of fear on my face clear as day. She glances back up at me and froze. "Wait, you're serious?"

"Very."

"Why, what's going on?" I through my hands up in frustration and she started putting her cleaning stuff away.

"That's the thing I have no clue. Virgil went missing. Patton says he needs the heart and that he would explain..."

"Virgil's missing, when? He was just here..." Her face went blank as she stood there frozen for about two minutes. Next thing I knew she was rushing out of the room only to come back with the box from before. "We need to hurry."