12.Roman

"I'm sorry, but this isn't pretend." I reacted by taking out my gun and pointing it at him. I don't know why. It's Patton. Sweet, innocent, magic freak of a Patton. He looked at the gun and for a second I thought I saw fear. Why someone who could close the door without touching it would fear a gun, I have no idea. He could just bat it out of my hands if he wanted. "Are you frightened of me? Do you honestly think that I would hurt you?"

"I honestly have no idea what to think Patton. You just voodoo'd the door locked." Patton laughed a little as I waved my arms about. "So you're a what? A witch or something."

"Not quite... But we can't worry about that right now. Virgil is..." Patton took a step closer and I reacted by cocking my gun.

"A vampire? If that's true, you do realize how dangerous that he is right?" My mind kept replaying all thoughts on repeat. I've seen the movies. I've watched the shows. There is no way he at some point wasn't...

"He isn't dangerous. This is Virgil we're talking about."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Are we talking about the same guy? You know, the one with extreme anger issues. How many lamps has he broken? How many wall or dishes?"

"Is that's all... Wow, that guys soft." I saw Anna come out behind Patton a french fry in her hand. "Roman if that is all he's doing then that guy has more self-control then you give him credit for."

"It doesn't look it." Anna just laughed.

"To a human, of course not. Vampires are notoriously rageful. The literally bloodthirsty beasts that run on anger like gas for a car..."

"He threw a lamp at me!"

"But he didn't kill you." Patton went back into the kitchen leaving me alone with Anna. I don't know why but that scared me more than being alone with him. She glanced at my gun and rolled her eyes. "Put your gun away, Roman." My eyes went wide as I put my gun in my hoster. It was like my body just listened. I didn't like it. "Not all supernaturals are bad. Think about it. You were the last one with him... He was starving and you were alone, yet your still here. Did he even try anything?"

My thoughts raced a mile a minute. She was right. I was alone with him, and he was obviously starving. He never once even tried anything. In fact, he tried to stay as far from me as he could. But is Patton is right then...'

"We better hurry up and find him!" I slowly made my way into the kitchen and found Patton standing there bent over the counter. I cleared my throat and he jumped up, wiping the fresh tears off his face. He put on that fake smile and laughed.

"You gonna shoot me?" He meant it as a joke but I could see the fear still in his eyes. I am an ass. A very frightened one but still an ass.

"No, not today. I thought maybe instead we could... I don't... try to save a friend?" His eyes lit up and rushed over, pulling me into a hug. He grabbed a travel mug and headed for the door. Anna following closely behind him. "Jesus, Roman. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

I followed them out and was about to get into the car when the phone rang. I answered it of course, but what I heard just about killed me. Two officers down not even 4 streets away. They were responding to a call about some drunken or hurt man that matches Virgil's description and now they're in the hospital.

"Roman?" I looked over at Patton and shook myself from my thoughts. They're in the hospital yes. But they're not dead, and there was no mention of loss of blood. "What's wrong?"

"We really need to find him. Before anyone else gets hurt."