11.Roman

This was hell on one's nerves, ok? Anna held the box in her arms as we made our way to their house. She brought everything. The dissected heart, the stake, even the old box. All of it separated and place in bags... and another box.

It was quiet. For the whole ride, no one spoke. Not even the radio played. Even when we finally got there, Anna got out and knocked on the door without so much as a peep. She was getting down to business. I was silently freaking out. 

Patton opened the door, quickly leaving it open for us. No hello, no yelling, nothing just silence. It was deafening, and I was starting to get antsy. Patton led us into the kitchen where I could see the remains of what was supposed to be more cookies. I guess he stopped when he got the call. There was this smoothie maker out and plugged in, but what got me was the things around it. There were bottles and bottles of all these things that I honestly had no idea how to say. However, they looked like they belonged in a hospital.

"Sorry, for the state of thing. I haven't cleaned up yet." Patton said as he turned around with a smile on his face. A smile I knew was fake. He couldn't hide tear stains running down his cheeks. 

"That's quite alright Mr. Mathews..." Anna said as she returned his smile. Patton just shook his head and held his hand out for her to shake.

"Please call me Patton. You must be..." She took his hand and his eyes went wide, quickly pulling it away. "Annabelle... uh right?" Her eyes narrowed and this look of curiosity seemed to show in her eyes. 

"Anna... and I believe you asked for this." She just handed him the box. She asked no question, gave no stipulations. She just handed it over. Patton took the box smiling genuinely for the first time since arriving. He started to open the box when he stopped. It looked like he was smelling the air for a second before I saw the frown. He opened the box and he got this look like his worst fears had come to pass.

"Where did you get this again?"

"It was delivered this morning. We never saw who brought." Anna was acting like this was an everyday occurrence. Patton just balled his fist and I watched as he took the stake out. "That was inside the heart."

"I know..." He rushed over and grabbed a pot from the rack. He placed it on the stove, put the stake in it and threw in a match. It burst into flames faster the gasoline. "Damn it, Roman."

"What?! What did I do?" They both glared at me and I threw my hands in the air in surrender. I felt like I was being interrogated. "Seriously what did I do?!"

"Not you... I told you there were people who would love to hurt Virgil and Deceit, but..." He leaned against the wall in exhaustion. "I never explained who. I just never expected them so soon."

"Do these people have to do with Virgil vanishing? Did they take him?" Patton just shook his head. I watched in horror as he took the heart and threw it in the smoothie maker, turning it on and blending the shit out of it. I couldn't even voice my shock and horror. He just made a smoothie out of a human heart. 

"I told you I would explain... But I fear it won't be easy to take."

"He's a vampire." Anna said without any hesitation. She stood there looking at her nails like nothing wrong was happening. HE'S BLENDING UP A DAMN HEART, and what do you mean vampire. This isn't some supernatural shitfest. This is reality. Patton just sighed and turned off the machine.

"He hasn't... eaten. I only found out recently that our supply is gone."

"That's why he looked so sick. He looked just about ready to throw up or bite me." Anna laughed but Patton only frowned. 

"We have to find him. Soon, or else."

"Something bad will happen?" I asked as I glanced at the two of them. I remembered Patton say something about Virgil going mad waiting here at home. Patton nodded and I shook my head. I can't deal with this, I have a friend to find. Two friends to find... "Yeah, ok... Call me when you decide to drop this."

"Roman..." I waved him off as I headed towards the door. The door was open still since I was so lost in thought to close it. "Roman!"

"Give it up Patton. I have people to find." I took a step closer to the door and froze as it slammed shut, locking in the process. I slowly spun around to find Patton standing there.