7.Virgil

I stood there staring at the double doors imagining it was something else. ANYTHING ELSE. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have agoraphobia. But I am paranoid about getting jumped. A religious freak family focused on the eradication of all supernatural life. Not that there is much left to eradicate. It's enough to make anyone not want to leave the house.

I looked in to see people rushing around in such a hurry. I took a deep breath, holding it in, and watched as the world around me slow to a halt. Something a break to breathe is a thing. Sometimes a break is what is needed. Other times you have to just fucking move!

I pushed passed the doors and made my way to the nearest bathroom. Small step... I spotted Roman and instantly ducked into the nearest room. Smaller steps... 

What was Patton thinking? Why did he go that far just to get me out of the house? I know I have to find Deceit. And I know that having the police resources at my disposal would help, but really... I am not a cop. I am not made for law enforcement. That is literally the whole reason I shot down being a medical examiner. I shook myself out of my anxious haze and forced myself to leave the room only to bump right into the one man I didn't want to see.

"Virgil..." I looked down to find Roman on his ass. Now normally I would have probably laughed at him, but i'm not exactly in the mood right now. I grabbed his hand and pulled him up.  "Wow, are you strong. What the hell? It was like I hit a wall!" He just laughed it off as I stood there trying desperately to melt into the air. 

"You...ok?" He looked at me and smiled. I just wanted to hide.

"So Patton really did it, huh? I was there but, honestly, I was lost." I watched as Roman awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. I guess he was just as nervous.

"Yeah, I raised him right." My eyes went wide and I laughed very awkwardly. "I mean... uh..." Roman burst out in laughter as he lightly punched my arm.

"Well, I guess we finally moved past that hostility phase if you're able to make jokes like that with me."

"Yeah, jokes..." Roman just kept laughing even as he led me out to were my desk is supposed to be. Again, Why? I stood there staring at this empty desk baren and dust. And then, I looked at the desk across from it. It was covered in playbill and picture... Disney memorabilia... you name it. It was a complete mess. I'm surprised Patton didn't go all clean freak on him. 

"Your smiling..."

"What?" I glanced up at Roman, who was staring at me with this smile on his face.

"You were smiling." I just sat down at my desk, really wish one of my gifts were invisibility.

"Yeah, so it's just a smile. Smiling... It's a thing... t-that people do... P-people smile." Roman shook his head and sat down at his own desk, still smiling at me.

"I've never seen you smile. It's nice... You look good with a smile." My face went redder than my eyes when I'm pissed. He just sat there laughing at me. 

"Fuck off..."

By the end of the day, nothing more was done, and I was no closer to finding Deceit. I was exausted, confused, and just plainly annoyed. Roman just kept asking questions about how I pulled off the bank thing and I nearly lost it. This is not going to work if he causing me to go crazy EVERY GOD DAMN DAY! It is very important I keep my anger in some sort of check otherwise... THE FUCK!

"Hey Virge, I think whatever it was you ordered spilled. It's dripping through the box." Roman called out as he turned to talk to Logan. I stopped for a second and just took in my surrounding. Using my senses to their fullest extent. 

I felt the air as it moved with each person around me. I heard the heartbeats of every person. I saw the trail of splatter that led to my desk. I smelt the undeniable metallic odor, that wasn't pain. I walked over and pulled a Connor... meaning I tasted the blood. Definitely human... That ruled out Deceit thank god. But then...

"Jesus Virgil, If your not gonna open it..." I watched in slow motion as he reached out for the box.

"DO NOT OPEN THAT!" I yelled out as loud as I could, scaring the shit out of everyone. It instantly went silent. "We're going to an M.E."