15. Roman

"How is he?" I glanced up to see Patton looking back at us through the rearview. He had insisted I sit in the back with Virgil and honestly I was ok with that. As soon as I had gotten in it was like he knew I was there. I had his head in my lap before I even had the chance to buckle. He just seemed so much more calm with me. 

"He's still sleeping."

"That's good. Roman?" I could see the worry on his face as he went to look at the rood. "You know we're going to have to talk about this, right?" I nodded, looking out the window at the night sky. I could still feel the slight warmth on my neck, and the pull I felt towards the man in my lap.

"Yeah, I figured. Hey, Pat... just what is a thrall?" I could hear Patton sigh as he turned right towards his home. 

"Guardian... servant... food. It depends on the master."  When we got to the house, Patton stopped and stared at me through the mirror with this serious look that made me worried. "The thing is Roman, you have to decide just what your willing to lose and just what you're willing to gain."

He helped me get Virgil out of the car so that I could get out since he was laying on me. I watched as he carried Virgil inside and this thought crept in my head. Virgil's a vampire and, according to Anna, I'm a thrall or going to or something. Anyway, she made it seem like it was because of the bite... Does that make Virgil the master? Patton definitely needs to explain things to me.

I sat on the couch, waiting for Patton to come back down from putting Virgil to bed. I remember the first time I saw them. I totally thought I would never have to see them again. But then what happened with Deceit and we just kept seeing more of each other. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't even know what I'm now apart of.

"Roman... Would you like something to drink or eat?" I glanced back just as Patton rounded the corner of the couch. I shook my head and he sat down. I could tell he was nervous. He had started fidgeting with his hands. "Roman we could attempt to reverse the effects but..."

"Wait, what?"

"You don't know what this entails. It could very well kill you. I mean so could trying to reverse it. Actually, that's riskier than just letting you turn..."

"WAIT TURN?! Patton, please explain to me what's going on here." Patton sighed as he looked over at me with a smile. 

"When you are bitten by a vampire there really is only 4 things you can do. Attempt to reverse it, though very rarely successful and usually ends it death. You can ride it out and pray your one of the few that can handle the strain. Or you can turn..." I was just lost in thought, trying to take everything in. Patton looked like he hated every option and honestly, I did too. 

"What's the last option?"

"Death..." Yeah, that's what I thought. "That's why you have to make a choice, Roman."

"How can I choose when I don't know what I'm choosing?" He nodded and left. I was just sat there waiting confused. I know for damn sure I don't want to die. Patton came back with this book and handed over to me. "What's this..."

"Shut up and listen..."He said while sitting down next to me. "There's a lot to be said."

"Ok, then." I watched as Patton took a deep breath before looking back over at me.

"First thing's first. A thrall is ultimately human. There is no biologically fundamental change. However, The bite is a sort of bonding. It binds you to the Vampire. A contract of sorts."

"A contract... for what?"

"Servitude... protection... devotion, You name it. You are handing your life, your free will over to them and in turn you..." He stopped and hesitates. I could tell he wanted nothing more than to have kept me out of this. Well, it kind of too late. Besides, even knowing what's at stake because of it... I still would have done it.

"I what?"

"You are granted 'gifts'?"