14. Roman

"GO AWAY!"

"Please... just go away."

"You... can't. You can't."

"Can't... help... hungry... "

"I. don't... w-want... to. h-hurt.... anyone."

"I... ca...n't... ple..ase... d.o.n.t..."

The words he said burned into my mind. The pain... The agony he felt but still fought against. I looked down at the man sleeping in my arms and my heart ached. Even at the end of it all, he fought. He stopped before anything could happen. He stopped before he could hurt me. I've never met anyone so willing to suffer than to inflict suffering. 

I reached out and wiped a stray tear as it fell from his eye. He was cold to the touch. He shivered against my palm and my heart just about broke for him. Not too long ago I was terrified. All I could see was the monster I thought he was. Even when I found him, I was scared. But he just kept pushing me away, telling me to leave instead of giving in.

I felt as he pushed himself further into me, nuzzling me as he did. How is it that that small ball of tightly wound sass and anger, is the same guy currently in my arms? How is it that someone so small can be so strong? I can't imagine what he must have been going through.

There was this slight burning in my neck and I started to get a bit light headed. I probably should have learned more about vampires before giving blood to one, huh? I couldn't just let him suffer like that. Patton had the cup of... heart, and we all split up to cover more ground. He wasn't going to make... I couldn't just...

"Roman?!"

"Over here, Pat." I turned to see Patton turn the corner. His eyes widened and next, I knew he was right next to me. It was like a flash. Remind me to never challenge either of them to a race. He started to take Virgil. I saw this look of pain cross Virgil's sleepy face and I pulled him in closer, causing Pat to step back. "It's ok. He's ok. I'm ok."

"Roman..."

"He's going to need that... uh..." I paused as I got up, carrying Virgil as I did. I was a bit frazzled, to say the least. "..um... that cup thing... the drink you made for him."

"We need to get him home first." Anna said as she arrived. "It's not safe for him to remain here. And it's not safe for you to be holding him, give him to Patton and be done with it."

"NO!" Anna looked at me with shock. "I mean... it's fine. The last thing Virgil needs right now is to jostle about. Besides, he's asleep." I started making my way to the car, as the rest followed.

"He's awfully close, considering he hasn't eaten yet." Anna said as we finally made it. I opened the door and set him down

"What are you getting at?" Anna started circling me like some flippin weirdo. Her eyes went wide and she pulled my shirt collor down. 

"Jesus, you are a total moron!" She threw her arms in the air and started pacing. "I have been living here for decades and nothing. You and your sleeping friend here..." She pointed and Patton and Virgil and moved to block the door. I had this feeling like I had to protect him. He was my friend after all. And I obviously know nothing about Anna. 

"Anna, maybe we should all..."

"You two brought that sick family right to my door and now, to make matters worse..." She gestured to me and yelled in frustration. "Congrats, Roman. You've become a thrall. Welcome to the world of monsters." Patton gave me this look of fear, and Anna scoffed. "I'm out! See you at work tomorrow. That is if you aren't dead by morning."