13. Virgil

Darkness... danger... death... dreams...  blood... hunger... hate... home... harm... blood... fate... fire... family... fear.... blood... love... lies... lead... learn... blood... trust... team... torn... taste... blood... pain... noise... hunger... darkness... fear...taste...

Blood.

Why is everything so... empty? Why is everything so... lost? My whole body burned with hunger. A thirst... It wouldn't go away. I just wouldn't stop. I pushed myself farther into the dark damp corner of where ever I was. I prayed to be left alone. I prayed to be found. I prayed to be fed.

"Hello?" A voice picked up past the rush of veins I've heard for the past several hours. I heard each footstep like an earthquake. I felt each footstep like a pull. Please... Please...

"GO AWAY!"

"Virgil?" I looked up at the sound of my voice. All I saw was this bright light... a haze... All I saw was red. "Virgil..." Whoever it was reached out to me and my felt as my fangs protract,  cutting into my lips. My eyes widened as I realized I had nearly grabbed them. I snapped out of it and pushed myself as far as I could go as fast as I could manage. They started looking around in confusion over my disappearance.

  "Please... just go away."

"Virgil... I... I can help you." They walked over and knelt down in front of me. I was cornered. Literally, I had put myself in a corner. "Let me help you."

 "You... can't. You can't." I reached out to push them away but I could feel my need grow and so I stopped. Frozen and shaking... Hungry and fearful. I forced myself to pull my hand back and I looked away. Not that that helped any. I could still hear them... sense them... smell them. They reached out again wiping a tear that started falling from my eyes. 

Next, I knew I had them against a wall by fangs mere moments from biting him. I wanted to stop and I didn't want to stop. I was hungry but I couldn't... I wouldn't. I pushed myself off of them and gripped at my arms, falling to my knees. I just had to get home. Why aren't I home? 

"Virgil." My whole body screamed out in pain and I doubled over, holding onto myself as if that would stop me from hurting someone. I couldn't stop the pain... It was all I could do not to scream. "You have to tell me what's wrong." They took a step closer and the pain got worse. Everything was telling me to just do it. To eat and be done with it. "Please, Virgil. I can't help you if you don't let me."

"Can't... help... hungry... " I could feel tears begin to fall from my eyes. "I. don't... w-want... to. h-hurt.... anyone."

"You aren't going to make it, are you?" I felt they pulled me into their arms. I had no more strength to fight anymore. They pulled me closer and held me close as the sound of there heartbeat began to drown out my objections. I felt as they placed a hand on my head and another on my back, practically nuzzling me into the crook of their neck.

"I... ca...n't... ple..ase... d.o.n.t..."

"Shh... Virgil. It's ok. It's ok." They held me tight and I could feel them breathe deeply. My body moved on its own. I couldn't hold back any longer. The metallic taste filled my mouth and all I could hear after that was his steady heartbeat... "What are friends for?"