Mission

Under V's careful watch, my abilities flourish until I can rival V himself, which is a huge accomplishment. I've passed the levels of the top assassins in the league about a week ago, but while I can make V have a hard time, I can never beat him.

While I possess naturally enhanced senses and animal instincts, he possesses a brilliant mind and excellent body control. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard a rumor going around that his IQ was over two hundred and seventy.

Oh yeah. That reminds me.

"Do you really have an IQ of 270?" I pipe up during the walk to the office where we'd been summoned. V's face tightens. "Where'd you hear that?" I pretend to suddenly be very interested on the ruffled, linty corners of my sleeve under his intense gaze. "You know- people talk, and I hear."

"You shouldn't believe what people say so easily. Rumors can be so deceiving."

I take that as a sign that he didn't want to talk about it, and smartly drop the subject. By now, I know the boundary when to stop inquiring and when to keep digging for information.

When we arrive at the office, the middle aged man I'd last seen an year ago stands up, spreading his arms widely in welcome. He still looks identical from when I first met him, from his sleek tuxedo suit to the brown goatee, sharply trimmed to absolute perfection.

"My two best pupils," he announces, trying to be friendly. But I can easily see he's itching to get to the point.

The reason why we're really here.

"I'm pleased to say that your first mission together has been chosen by the Committee themselves." I suddenly feel weird. Together? But I'll only be a burden, with my hemophobia. Don't they know how that'll affect the mission? How much that might put V at risk?

But I don't speak up as he finally says the real thing that matters. "Assassinate the leader of the Carrera Clan. They've stolen something very precious to us- the Hope Diamond, and information about out League. I need you to get the gem back, along with the head of the leader."

He takes a breath and continues.

"You will be Prince Alexander of Carrera, and you a lady he courts. The real Prince has gone on a trip to Versailles, where one of our assassins has taken care of him already. You'll take his place, and by appearing as the Prince, your alibi is perfect."

Perfect, I think.

What a creative way to die.