Smart

"The Carreras inhabit the Icy Lands beyond the land we live in. You can expect temperatures at or under 0 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. Seasons don't exist there, only winter." At V's information, I sigh and bury my face in my hands. I hate the cold. I'd much rather die in the blazing heat of the Sahara Desert then freeze to death in Antarctica or the Arctic, whichever one came first.

I look up. "I don't understand why they chose me. You know that I'm just going to be a burden with my fear. What if I ruin the entire mission?" There's an unspoken silence between us. We're all aware of the real question-

What if I'm the reason that you'll die in this mission, V?

He licks his lips, breaking the tension. "I'll do all the killing in the mission. I don't have to draw blood to kill a person, and neither do you." I just stay silent as he helps me zip up the black battle clothes, fitted with nothing but advanced technology. This will keep us warm and dry, V says, and I nod distantly. I'm not focused when this is the time when I really should be.

V tucks several knives into the straps of his dark jacket, motioning for me to do the same. He sweeps up his long bangs up, wrapping a black bandanna around his exposed forehead to keep his hair up. The rest of it falls back over his shoulder, making him look extremely good looking. I barely can keep my eyes off of him, but I somehow force myself not to.

I grimace at the chill as the helicopter drops us off at the closest point to the Carrera Clans as we can get without getting noticed. We know if we lose the element of surprise, then this mission is as good as over, along with our lives. We need to play our cards well, because we only have one chance to strike.

One chance to kill and take.

V looks off into the distance, unfazed by the cold. The peak of the Mountains swarm with people, and I realize he's calculating the best way to get in, wreak havoc, and then get out. Meanwhile, I struggle to keep up with my IQ of 170. Even though I know that's higher than average, it's nothing to compare to V's. Out of pure curiosity, I'd asked the Leader of the League, the one who had mentored V himself.

Turns out his IQ was higher than what they all thought, by a shattering forty. Which means he had the combined score of three hundred and ten.

Less than a second after scanning the entire mountain range, V glances at me, eyes sparkling with intelligence.

"I think I know how to get in, Kir."