Chapter Four

My head snaps to the dorm door as I hear a keycard being inserted into the panel. I'm immediately nervous because I have nowhere to be but don't want to be stuck in this room with Vic all day.

"I don't know, Mike, I didn't get a great look at them." Vic snaps sarcastically as he opens the door.

I notice he's holding a phone to his ear.

He comes into the room and closes the door and then heads over to his bed. He sits down on it and takes his cap off so he can run his fingers through his hair.

"He said they were Gucci." he sighs.

I feel awkward and uncomfortable. I don't know if I should be leaving the room or not? What if this is a private conversation? What if he doesn't know I'm in the room?

"I don't even know if he was talking about shoes." Vic huffs frustrated.

My ears perk up at the chance to be helpful.

"Um," I say to get Vic's attention. "They were shoes."

My words come out quiet but Vic seems to hear them.

"My roommate just told me they were shoes." he says into the phone.

He begins to chew on his bottom lip, seeming stressed as he listens to the other person talk.

"Sorry, what?" he snaps suddenly, seeming surprised. "Did you just say $200 to $3000?"

I flinch at the numbers.

"They're fucking shoes!" Vic exclaims, visibly getting even more upset. "Ugh, I don't know, Mike! I couldn't fucking see them!"

He pulls the phone from his ear and turns his head towards me.

"Kellin, did you see what the shoes looked like?" he asks hopefully.

"Yeah," I say, feeling a little excited that I can be useful. "They were mostly white, with a bit of green on them and they had bees embroided on them."

Vic repeats my description back to Mike on the phone and waits for a response.

"Did they have green on the heel?" Vic asks.

I nod, once again forgetting he can't see me.

"Yeah, they did."

"Yep," Vic chirps into the phone. "You found them? What are the chances they're $200?...Did you just say...Like dollars?...USD?...Freddie Mercury himself better have worn those fucking shoes."

That makes me smile because that means Vic likes Queen, and I like Queen, which means that we have something in common. He may have been a dick earlier, but at least he has great music taste.

"Yeah, any bright ideas?" Vic snaps, then his entire demeanour softens. "I know. I'm sorry. I've been snapping at people all day. I'm just stressed...Yeah...I'll work something out...Thanks, bro...I love you...Tell Mama and Pops I said hey."

And then he finally puts down his phone.

He falls down on his bed dramatically. His shades shift but he quickly pushes them back to their place.

"Seven hundred and thirty dollars." Vic breathe out slowly, emphasising each word.

I near choke as he says it.

"What? You're fucking kidding!" I exclaim shocked.

"I know right!" Vic whines. "Who buys shoes that expensive and then has the audacity to wear them?"

I feel bad for Vic because it wasn't his fault. They were dicking around. They should have been watching where they were going.

"He's probably going to expect me to replace them." Vic groans.