Chapter Eighteen

Jordan, Sam and I spend hours literally just talking about boys until I realize it's dark and think I should probably get back to my dorm.

Sam offers to walk me across campus, and I'm desperate to get her alone so I can ask her something that's been on my mind all night, so I agree.

As we walk through the garden, I think now is a perfect time.

"So are you and Jordan dating or what?" I ask, grinning at her.

She blushes and shrugs.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

She sighs and wraps her arm around my shoulder.

"He's sweet, and he's a lot of fun, and I really like him. But I have bigger things to worry about." she smiles sadly.

"Like what?" I ask confused.

"Just school, work, you." she murmurs, not looking at me.

I immediately feel guilty. I'm forever burdening her. I don't want her to feel like she can't date because she has to look after me.

"Sammy, you've been looking after me since I was fourteen, and that entire time you've never done anything for yourself. I want you to be happy. I think you should go for it." I explain.

"I don't know, Kells." she shrugs.

"Please. I think he's really nice." I urge.

She smiles and nods, seemingly giving in.

"Okay. You're right. I do really like him." she says.

"Good." I chirp. "I may be your little brother but if he hurts you, I'm still going to kick his butt."

"Woah there tiger. I think I'm more than capable of kicking butt myself. But I appreciate the sentiment. Thanks little bro." she smiles.

We soon arrive in front of my dorm and Sam pulls me into her arms.

"Ugh I'm so proud of you." she sighs and I chuckle.

"You already said that, like a thousand times." I tell her.

"Because I mean it." she whines. "Okay, you go snuggle your boyfriend and I'm going to go make this loser mine."

"Let me know how it goes." I urge.

"Of course." she grins, then she let's go of me and gives me a wave as she leaves.

I take a breath and turn to my door but suddenly realise I do not have my card. I cringe as I bring my knuckles to the door.

It's barely a second before Vic answers.

"Hey," I whisper, looking down feeling a little intimidated by his presence. I don't know what I'm going to tell him. How am I going to lie my way out of this one?

"Hey," he says softly.

He doesn't seem mad like I assumed he would be which relieves me.

"Did I wake you?" I ask worried.

"No, I was literally just about to go to bed though." he explains.

I look back up at him and find myself admiring just how simply gorgeous he is. I feel so much better about my attraction towards him after my talk with Jordan.

"Can I join you?" I ask.

"Uh," Vic frowns.

"To sleep," I add, blushing, worried that I gave the wrong impression. "And cuddle."