Chapter Five

My phone buzzes beside me, interrupting my 3am thoughts and startling me. The light illuminates the room.

I panic for a second about the brightness disturbing my roommate but then I remember Vic can't see light. God, this is going to take some getting used to.

I look over him. He's asleep, facing the wall and away from me. He has the blanket pulled up to his underarm, leaving his shoulders and some of his bare back exposed. Just from that small section of his back, I can tell his body is really attractive. He seems so toned, and tanned, and I'm fighting to look away.

I eventually force myself to look back down at my phone, then I turn the brightness down to protect my own eyes. I notice it's a text from Brandon which makes my heart leap to my throat.

B♡: Hey

I cringe at the sight of the heart and the nickname. I guess I forgot to delete his number.

I frown at the message, unsure if I should answer it.

B♡: Are you awake?

My heart is beating in my chest, faster than it should. I havent spoken to him since I broke up with him. It took him a week after the breakup to stop blowing up my phone with messages.

B♡: I miss you♥

That message hurts.

B♡: Can we talk?

B♡: Please?

I want to turn my phone off and not look at it until those messages magically disappear, but I still feel guilty about how I ended things, and about ending things in general. That's if you can end things without technically being in a relationship.

I finally open the message which instantly marks it as read. To not reply now would be a dick move.

Kellin: what do you want to talk about?

The message is read as soon as it's sent and barely a second later he's typing out a message. I watch the blinking dots on my screen, nervous for what he's about to say.

Is he going to tell me he hates me? That I'm a horrible person? That I should just lock myself away so I don't hurt anyone else? That's what I think anyway.

But that's not what I receive. Of course not. Brandon's a sweetheart. I'm the asshole.

B♡: About us and the way things ended. I'm still confused and I'm worried about you. I can't sleep anymore. It's driving me insane, not knowing why. Did you realize you weren't attracted to after we did it? Did I do something wrong or weird? I'm just so confused. I need an explanation.

I read over his message and immediately feel sick and overwhelmed. I don't know how to tell him the truth without saying too much.

It's five whole minutes before I can accumulate my thoughts enough to type out a message. The least I can do is reassure him that it wasn't his fault.

Kellin: It had nothing to do with you, I promise. I just need to be alone for a while. I'm not interested in a relationship and I think I was sending you the wrong signals. I'm really sorry about that. You're a great guy, you'll find someone.

I'm in tears by the time I hit send. He means a lot to me and I was really falling for him. It sucks that I had to hurt him, and it sucks that I'm being so cold towards him.

After what feels like an eternity of Brandon typing, I receive another message.

B♡: You talk like I meant nothing to you, like we weren't dating for two months, like I didn't give you my virginity, my heart. And we were DATING, Kellin. I know it wasn't verbally established, but we were a couple. You can deny it all you want, but you weren't just some random hookup to me, and I refuse to be some random hookup to you. Did I imagine everything? Am I losing it? Because I swear you were falling for me too. If I'm such a "great guy" then you should want to be with me. So what's the truth, Kell? Why did you just leave me?