Chapter Twenty-Four

"So", Vic grins, our hands swinging between us as we walk through the chilly night air back from Vic's parent's house. "You've met my parents, when am I going to meet yours?"

The question puts a damper on my surprisingly good mood and I begin to feel ill. But I make sure to remind myself that Vic is my boyfriend and he cares about me so it's okay if I open up a little.

"Technically," I begin slowly. "You already have."

He chuckles confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Sam is my legal guardian." I chirp.

"Oh." Vic says surprised. "Where are your parents?"

"Uh, my mom left when I was two and my dad wasn't fit to be a parent. Sam has had custody of me since I was fourteen." I explain.

"Oh, Kells, I'm sorry." Vic frowns.

"It's okay." I smile. "I'm lucky to have Sam."

Vic's silent after that and I can tell he's thinking about something.

"How did I not know that?" he frowns, dropping my hand.

"What?" I ask confused.

"How did I not know that Sam is your legal guardian? How did I not know about your parents? We've been dating for months." he huffs.

"It just never came up." I shrug.

"No that's bullshit." Vic whines softly. "I tell you literally everything. You don't tell me shit. I feel like I don't know anything about you. You're reluctant to talk about your past, you don't want to tell me how you got your scar, you brush off almost any question I ask. It's not fair that I've been so vulnerable with you and you can't meet me halfway."

I feel guilty and I want to cry. I don't even have an excuse. He's right.

"I'm sorry. It's just," I wipe my eyes and take a deep breath trying to calm myself down. "It's hard for me."

"Shit Kell, I didn't want to upset you." he murmurs wrapping his arm around my waist. "I just really want to know you, everything about you. I'm sorry, I promised you I'd be patient with your boundaries. But,"

He pauses.

"What?" I urge.

"Like are we getting somewhere? Are your walls coming down at all?" he frowns.

"They are." I assure him. "Meeting your parents was really hard for me, but I did it for you."

He nods and sighs.

"Well, thank you. I appreciate that." he smiles sadly. "I just want you to know you can trust me. I trust you."

I nod forgetting he can't see me, then I kiss his shoulder.

I want to tell him that I do trust him, but that would be a lie. I find it impossible to believe that if I told Vic everything, about my past, about my dad, about my shame, that he'd still want to be with me. I don't think anyone would want to be with someone so damaged.

"I think my family really likes you." Vic tells me, easing the tension amongst us.

"You do?" I ask hopefully.

"Yeah, absolutely. But even if they didn't it wouldn't matter. I really like you, that's the important thing, right?" Vic chuckles.

I take his hand again and brush my cheek against his bare shoulder.

"I really like you too." I smile.

That's the first time I've been able to say those words aloud while sober and it's relieving. I wish Vic could understand how much I've been able to grow just in the time we've known each other. But in order for that to happen, he would have to know where I started.