Chapter Six

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket in the middle of my art history lecture. I pray it's Dr. Levit texting me that our session is cancelled. I'm exhausted and dying to just go to my dorm and crash.

I pull out my phone and my stomach drops when I see it's a message from Brandon. He hasn't spoken to me since last week.

I nervously open up the message and sigh relieved when I find that it's something mundane.

B♡: do you still have the laptop I let you borrow? Mine crashed last night and I don't have time to get a new one.

I quickly type out a message under the table.

Kellin: yeah it's in my dorm. I'm in class and have an appointment after though.

B♡: I need it asap. I have an assignment due and now I have to start over.

I'm desperate to help out, seeing as Brandon was nice enough to lend me his spare laptop when I needed it and I kind of owe it to him for being an asshole.

Kellin: could you meet me after class? I can give you my keycard and you can get it from my dorm.

B♡: yeah, sounds good. Thanks Kell.

I quickly send him my location, then I try to pay attention to my lecture, but I'm so fucking nervous about seeing Brandon again.

I've somehow managed to avoid him since the night we had sex. This is going to be so awkward.

My lecture goes fast, too fast for my liking and soon I'm leaving the hall. I find Brandon leaning against the wall opposite the exit, waiting for me.

He stands up straight and gives me a shy smile and a little wave.

"Hey," I breathe, as I approach him.

"Hey, uh, sorry about last week. I was a little drunk." he winces.

"It's um, it's okay." I whisper awkwardly.

There's a brief but tense silence between us after that.

"So," Brandon begins. "How are you? You don't look so good."

I shrug and look down at my hands.

"Could be better. But it's whatever." I mumble.

I glance up at Brandon and he opens his mouth to speak but seems hesitant, which is odd for him. He usually just says whatever is on his mind, for better or for worse. I wait patiently for him to find his words.

"If you need someone to talk to, I can be that someone. I care about you still. Maybe in time, we can be friends." he suggests slowly.

I smile at that. Brandon was always a good listener.

"I'd like that." I whisper.

I pull my keycard out of my pocket then hand it to him.

"It should be in a box under my bed. Um, try not to freak my roommate out if he's there. He's blind." I explain.

"Would you like me to take these back for you?" he asks, reaching for the books in my hands.

"Oh, right, yeah, thanks. I need to get to my appointment but I'll see you later, I guess." I mumble, handing him my books.

"Take care, Kells." he says then I quickly hurry away.

I speed walk the entire way to Dr. Levit's office, hoping to get there early for once so she stops reading too much into my tardiness.

When I finally get there, she grins at me as she escorts me in.

"I am pleasantly surprised." she chirps as I sit in my usual chair.